Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-02-2011, 08:36 AM   #1 
Echo

Question Co-worker's betta dying?

one of the ladies i work with takes generally good care of her betta.. he has a 1 gallon bowl, no filter and no heater, but the water temp is consistent (yes, i checked on the sly ). recently, though, he seems to be swimming in place and sort of on his side, and sometimes clamping to the side as if he's got cramps. he rarely surfaces and he won't eat.. she's changed his water twice this week so far (she's in a bit of a panic.. she uses those bowl buddies fizzy pellets *ugh* 24 hours before plonking him in). she's had him for six months now, and he's been relatively healthy and happy. he's gone from a rich blue with orange fins to a dull blue-black with orange-brown fins. is he on his last fin, do you think? or is there something else we can try?
Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 08:51 AM   #2 
Littlebittyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo View Post
one of the ladies i work with takes generally good care of her betta.. he has a 1 gallon bowl, no filter and no heater, but the water temp is consistent (yes, i checked on the sly ). recently, though, he seems to be swimming in place and sort of on his side, and sometimes clamping to the side as if he's got cramps. he rarely surfaces and he won't eat.. she's changed his water twice this week so far (she's in a bit of a panic.. she uses those bowl buddies fizzy pellets *ugh* 24 hours before plonking him in). she's had him for six months now, and he's been relatively healthy and happy. he's gone from a rich blue with orange fins to a dull blue-black with orange-brown fins. is he on his last fin, do you think? or is there something else we can try?
In a unfiltered one gallon bowl I usually suggest 100% water changes daily..Or every other day at the least...How much and how often does she feed him? What is the temp.? I also suggest switching to a good water conditioner..It will be cheaper and more effective in the long term than the fizzy tabs.If he is having bouyancy issues it sounds like he may have a swim bladder issue...Which I believe is treated with Epsom salt. you may get better answers by filling out the sticky at the top of disease and emergency section and posting it in that section.....
I hope he feels better!

Here is the sticky:
Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:01 AM   #3 
Echo

well, after speaking with her, she doesn't seem to care that much about the state of her betta. she says she's probably just going to flush him and get another one after i suggested testing his water . i have a feeling i'm going to be adopting yet another unwanted boy this weekend..
Old 06-02-2011, 09:10 AM   #4 
Littlebittyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo View Post
well, after speaking with her, she doesn't seem to care that much about the state of her betta. she says she's probably just going to flush him and get another one after i suggested testing his water . i have a feeling i'm going to be adopting yet another unwanted boy this weekend..
Awe, What a shame...poor little fish...Urge her not to flush him..It is very cruel...If you do adopt him make sure to let us know.. take pictures too..It can help while trying to figure out whats wrong...to me it sounds like a water quality issue and maybe a swimbladder issues as well though.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:14 AM   #5 
Echo

she claims it started after the latest water change (she changes his water every other week.. ick! he's clamping his body in an S shape, so he's in pain. i offered my drops (i'm sorry, i can't remember the name, but they're blue and they helped ease the last sickling i had untill he passed), but she insisted that no, she has it handled. i wish there was a way i could make him pass out so i could offer to "flush" him..
Old 06-02-2011, 09:44 AM   #6 
Tisia

not only is flushing cruel, but she could be introducing foreign bacteria/parasites into the water supply, especially since he's already sick with something unknown >_<
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:46 AM   #7 
BETTACHKALOVE

So sad. I read it very inhumane to flush them while they are alive. And if it is swim bladder problems it can be treated with Epsom salt 1tsp/gall with 100 % water changes every day for 10 days.

I just had the same situation at work. I took betta away from someone who really want betta but she change him once a wk and container less than 0.5 gall. I took him so i can change his water more often. I save him.

People get offended when u tell them that they do something wrong so i always try do not offend them .

May be u can tell her that u can try to do Epsom salt treatment and she will give u him.

BETTACHKALOVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:58 AM   #8 
Sakura8

Wow, this woman should not have pets, especially fish. Fish are NOT disposable! Why can't people realize that? You can't just flush them when they become inconvenient.

Swimming in place is called shimmying and it's generally a pretty bad sign. My guess is water quality finally got to him. Was she even feeding him or did she buy into the myth that bettas survive by eating plant roots, too?

I guess you could offer to flush him to "spare her the pain of losing her pet." But it sounds like she won't be having much pain anyway . . . Is there any way you can quietly euthanize him while she's at lunch? Dang, I hope she doesn't get another one, though. She'd be much better off with an aquarium screensaver or something.

I hope she lets you have him. From the sounds of it, you won't have him long but you can make his last days comfy.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 12:28 PM   #9 
BETTACHKALOVE

Braking my heart. How many people are don't care and not responsible. And it not only with fish it also with other animals.

I love an expretion JKfish has it on profile : Think
before you reaearch , research before you act
make sure you've got your facts
because when you buy pets
big or small you form a pact
to love and keep them all
BETTACHKALOVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 05:52 PM   #10 
Tikibirds

Is it possible for you to sneak in and change the fish's water and add conditioner?
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote