Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-03-2011, 04:53 PM   #1 
SaylorKennedy

Anyone have a newer model of the Marineland Eclipse 3?

Hey guys, I was just wondering if anyone had this version of the Marineland Eclipse 3 and can maybe post a few pics?

This one.
http://www.marineland.com/sites/mari...l.aspx?id=3927

I was thinking about buying another one as I've had the Eclipse 3 with the biowheel for 2.5 years and while I love it, it's starting to show it's age a bit. The tank is all scratched and has buildup on it. What I was wondering is if there is enough space in the back of the lid to add a HOB filter? I don't really care for intank filters so I feel I might just remove that and use one of my other filters I already have.
SaylorKennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 09:00 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

I don't have one but I'll bump this for you.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 10:45 PM   #3 
gummi

The link you posted is for the Crescent, not the Eclipse. If you are interested in the Crescent I can help as I recently purchased one. Unless you can find a very small HOB filter, you won't be able to fit it on the back without modifying the cover. The pre-cut opening is made specifically for the Whisper filter that it comes with and is only about 3 inches long. I looked for a very small HOB, but even the smallest one I could find would not fit without cutting a bigger opening in the acrylic top. If you did decide to modify it, another problem would be the placement of the light fixture which clamps onto the back of the tank. The tank is not straight across the back; it has a 7 inch center section and is angled on both ends where it meets the bowed front. Everything is prefabed to work specifically with the included components. There's just not a lot of room to work with. Also, I have the 5 gallon version, so there will be even less room than what I described. I'm happy with the performance of the internal Whisper filter, so it's a non issue for me. It's also a very attractive, modern looking tank with the clear top and back mounted light. Good luck with your decision. Let me know how it goes if you decide to modify it.
gummi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 11:12 PM   #4 
gummi

Here are a few pictures. I included a view of the back so you can see what kind of space you're dealing with.

gummi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 11:24 PM   #5 
Tisia

just noticed that petsmart has the 5 gallon version for $30 right now, which is cheaper than the 3 gallon. not sure how long the deal is going on but thought I'd mention it
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 12:17 AM   #6 
SaylorKennedy

Thanks so much gummi! That really helped. I guess I'll just have to go in store and take a closer look. I do have a really small HOB filter (red sea deco nano) and I'd be willing to modify the top if I think it'd all fit. Or just suck it up and keep the filter it comes with. I just think it would be better to give that extra swimming room to the fish! I would jump on the 5 deal but I really like the size of 3 gallons and my desk at school has pretty limited space.

Thanks Dq for the bump and thanks tisia for that deal info!
SaylorKennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 04:10 PM   #7 
newf

Wow..I think I will have to go and look at those tonight as well. For thirty dollars, that is a nice tank.
newf is offline   Reply With Quote