Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-06-2011, 07:31 PM   #1 
crowntail lover

Arrow 2.5g tank ideas needed.

Hi! I currently have two 2.5gs needing to be set up for 2 of my HM red marble males and I just dont know what I want to do with them just yet..?
And I was wondering if you all could help my out with some ideas and maybe some pictures with your tanks and what you used to put them together. :].

I have a lot of supplies already.

3 bags of natural colored rocks
1 bag of black rocks
10+ fake plants
5 clay pots
3 bags of white black natural mixed colored rocks
(all needs to be cleaned!) (any pointers on cleaning used decor)
note: i really love the natural look, i just dont know what to do about the decor...

Thanks
Sara
:]
crowntail lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 08:26 PM   #2 
crowntail lover

Bumping. Anyone with an idea? I really need to get these tanks set up tomorrow or atleast by this weekend..
Old 06-06-2011, 09:41 PM   #3 
crowntail lover

bump
Old 06-06-2011, 09:58 PM   #4 
gbose

CTLover,

I think the reason no-one's responding is that it depends so much on your personal taste. Do what looks good to you!

Re: Cleaning used decor. Boil any stones (not platic stuff). Don't use soap on anything!

Suggestions: Don't add too many stones, or you'll filll up the tank. I personally prefer real live plants to plastic, but.....

GB
gbose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 10:11 PM   #5 
PewPewPew

If the pots are big enough, consider breaking them (cleanly) and having a half-buried look with them ;)

Also, consider using a stone (if large enough) as a focal point like this:

Name:  2011-04-24 18.07.51.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  49.9 KB

And I agree, its hard to say, since we dont know what you like! :3 Try things out and then post, and itll be easier to tell you what we think and how to tweak.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 10:11 PM   #6 
copperarabian

I always like natural colored gravel, and love adding live plants to mine because it's fun seeing them grow and the added benefit of them eating ammonia and stuff.

here's the divided "betta" section in my 48g

I don't have any up to date photo's of my 2.5g mini bow, but it has the same gravel, and live plants as well. I like putting little marbles in my aquariums too.
But it's really about what you like, just set it up in a way you find interesting and like the look of.
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 11:06 PM   #7 
crowntail lover

Thanks for postings some pictures. I want to see what everyone has and likes because I like anything and just about everything that's isn't too dramatically out there. Haha. I have decided to use the clay pots and I am going to be using a bubble stone for filtration as well.. So that leaves room for other things.
I still haven't decided on fake or live plants though.?
Old 06-06-2011, 11:20 PM   #8 
PewPewPew

Live plants are really fun! I like them. It gives you a nice opportunity to have a healthier tank, IMO... They suck up the bad stuff, grow, and are nice and natural. Theyre not hard, either, depending on what you get.

Actually, if your plants look natural, you can do both and itd look GREAT! I did for a while before I got enough, and the fake ones, when near the live, began to look really good! :3

I like the old stand by, Java fern and anubias! Buying a fuller, tall fern gives the tank nice, lush height.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:32 PM   #9 
crowntail lover

Well the 2.5gs I have is the same one as your pic you posted so the plants can't grow to be too tall. I haven't had much experience with smaller gallon tanks because I've always had breeders in divided tanks... But since I am not breeding this year I am pampering...lol.. So. Do I need some type of soil base or do I just need to add a weekly micro nutrient to the tank for plant growth like I do my other tanks?
Old 06-06-2011, 11:39 PM   #10 
PewPewPew

Unless theyre a root plant (like swords), I usually just put liquid fertilizers in there and have my lights (CFL 6500K) and everything's happy :)

That's actually a 5 gallon!

All of the plants in this: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=67565
are good for smaller tanks, so long as theyre pruned. If you can get stem plants to grow a lot, you can even sell them or give them away, which is what I did.
The only one that might be meh in a smaller tank would be the amazon sword, which can get HUGE (tank-busters), but if you have bigger sized tanks to transfer, theyre nice.

Also, banana plants are hysterical and stupidly cute. Theyre cheap, too! (which is never a bad thing ;D )