Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-03-2011, 08:20 PM   #1 
Jonni

Barracuda has fin rot, again..

The last time he had it I stuck to the AQ salt/daily water changes, but now it's came back. The tips of his fins are black but he's acting fine. I'm very stressed because I can not afford any additional medications RIGHT NOW, but I do have AQ salt.
Jonni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 08:40 PM   #2 
Sakura8

Try the salt again. It's better than nothing. At the least it will hopefully keep the rot from advancing up his tail until you can afford meds. Keep the water super clean and warm. Think Barracuda's biting his tail? Fin rot happens after the fins get a rip or tear in them.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 07:55 AM   #3 
Jonni

I actually think he might be. What should I do, though? It started with a hole in his fin and then it just progressed. Is there any way to stop him from biting his tail? I've never seen him do it, so it must be while I'm at school or while I'm asleep.
Old 06-04-2011, 08:24 AM   #4 
DarkMoon17

If it started as a hole, then it is most likely just fin rot. You can try doubling the salt dose. That works for me a stubborn cases. Add 1tsp/gal, then up it to 2tsp/gal the next day. Make sure you do daily 100% water changes.
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 08:52 PM   #5 
Jonni

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMoon17 View Post
If it started as a hole, then it is most likely just fin rot. You can try doubling the salt dose. That works for me a stubborn cases. Add 1tsp/gal, then up it to 2tsp/gal the next day. Make sure you do daily 100% water changes.
Thank you. I do this for ten days, right? I changed his water tonight and did those measurements.
I told my step mom about it again, and she cares, so if I need to buy some other meds I'm sure she'll give me the money for it. She knows how much I love my Barracuda
Old 06-04-2011, 10:00 PM   #6 
Silverfang

I noticed a tiny hole in my boys fins. When I looked back the hole was gone, but so was a chunk of his fins, he had obviously bitten them to shreds. While it may be a symptom of bad water, it may just be the start of tail biting. Keep a close eye on him and do extra water changes to be safe.

When my guy chews his tail, he destroys a chunk at a time. If you see him chasing his tail/fins in circles, that's a big warning sign he's gonna chomp them. I tried distracting him, tapping the tank, even giving him a bloodworm treat. Despite that he still tore into his tail.

Hope you can figure it out, and get him healing.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 10:44 PM   #7 
Sakura8

I also tend to think that bettas are smarter than we think. I really believe that often a betta can sense finrot on his own and will bite off the fin himself to keep it from spreading. Just like I've seen newsclips about dogs that have bitten off their owner's infected toes when the owner didn't even know the toe was infected; doctors invariably said the dog's actions saved the owner's whole foot from getting infected and/or amputated. I know it sounds outrageous but I really think it's a possiblity.
Old 06-04-2011, 10:52 PM   #8 
DarkMoon17

You have a point Sakura... fin rot must be painful too so it is probable that the betta will go after it to relieve the source of pain.
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 10:53 PM   #9 
Jonni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
I also tend to think that bettas are smarter than we think. I really believe that often a betta can sense finrot on his own and will bite off the fin himself to keep it from spreading. Just like I've seen newsclips about dogs that have bitten off their owner's infected toes when the owner didn't even know the toe was infected; doctors invariably said the dog's actions saved the owner's whole foot from getting infected and/or amputated. I know it sounds outrageous but I really think it's a possiblity.
It doesn't sound outrageous, I actually think you might be on to something.
I'll keep a close eye on my boy. Thanks everyone :)
Old 06-05-2011, 12:04 AM   #10 
Sakura8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMoon17 View Post
You have a point Sakura... fin rot must be painful too so it is probable that the betta will go after it to relieve the source of pain.
You're right, that's a good point. I didn't think about the fin rot being a possible source of pain. Those fins are so . . . thin and almost like tissue paper that it's hard to imagine nerves in there. And because fish don't show the signs of pain that we humans are used to and conditioned to respond to (cries of distress, cringeing, sensitivity when the sore spot is touched etc) it's easy to forget they can still feel pain. So getting fin rot could be like us getting a horrible flesh-eating bacteria.

Jonni, good luck with Barracuda! Hope he gets better fast.