Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-03-2011, 08:52 PM   #1 
PewPewPew

Question What constitutes a "planted" tank?

I've been wondering what a "planted" tank really means. Like, I know it doesnt mean you shove a java fern in there and shwoop! its planted, but what makes it planted?

I have a large number of plants in my tank (all and only live), as well as rock and wood accents, and Id consider them "planted". But then I see those omg whhhattt!! tanks that people have that look like mini gardens, and it makes me wonder!

(And makes me want more plants, hah!)

What do you think?

This is mine. Its missing a lot, normally I have more plants and wood and rocks, but Baller and Alle have to share a tank while we're not in the dorms. Ds2009 has a lot of my plants atm..lucky guy ;) I normally have two tanks like this.

Below is a few days ago, it grows fast! :P)

Alle, king of photobombing.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 09:06 PM   #2 
nowzem

OOOOOH! Love it! Yup that's planted. There are just varying degrees... those gardens are just what I call" heavily planted." :) I hope to have one in my 55 gallon!
nowzem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 09:25 PM   #3 
Littlebittyfish

I think it is planted. It looks really nice. Your betta is gorgeous!
I personally consider any tank with all live plants that are thriving a "planted tank" regardless of the number of plants...Every heavily planted tank has to start somewhere...
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 09:46 PM   #4 
sayurasem

planted tank means... i think any tank that has atleast 51% of its volume are filled with plants IMO.
sayurasem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 01:26 AM   #5 
LeroyTheBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by PewPewPew View Post
I've been wondering what a "planted" tank really means. Like, I know it doesnt mean you shove a java fern in there and shwoop! its planted, but what makes it planted?
I agree Pew, and have also wondered where the cut-off was. Basically, I would call a tank "planted" if it seems to have a "decent" amount of plants for the size of the tank. I know, still vague, as it's all relative. What's a "decent" amount?

I think for smaller tanks (the size of MOST betta tanks) say up to 5 or 6 gallons... I'd say a planted (small) tank would need to have enough plants to actually DO something significant for the health of the tank (ie- uptake of ammonia, etc.) Obviously even just one plant will do something for a small tank.... 2 will do more... 3 even more.. etc.

Leroy's tank is not "heavily" planted for a small (6.25 gallon), but I have done routine water checks and levels are always about 0 amm/0 íte/less than 5 áte. He's got a small corner filter and I do a quick gravel vac about once a week (where he usually rests to pick up the most poo) and change his water about 50% twice a week. So, I think in this case I'd call his tank "planted". I know I don't need to do 2 50% water changes, the tank would take care of itself. So I know the plants are making it so I could go quite a bit longer before I'd need to do a wc.
LeroyTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 04:21 AM   #6 
Abby

my planted tanks are well planted i dont call my bay tanks planted as they only have java moss in them i think three bays have one plant each just cause they wouldnt fit in the planted tanks ill see if i have any recent pics
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 04:57 AM   #7 
Abby

A planted tank, is a tank where fish are an after thought and plants are the main focus, generally more then 50% of the tanks volume is planted.

here is my 5.2 tank, its a 5 gal but its my 2/2 the other tank (aka 5.1) is similar in planting but a bigger log as well as a branch of wood with plants. in this tank are Caela, Lexi and Bronxi. scarlet is usually in here too but is out healing.

Name:  one.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  53.9 KB

Name:  two.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  68.6 KB

Name:  three.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  60.3 KB
Old 06-04-2011, 05:00 AM   #8 
Abby

This tank is also running a C02 system (can be seen in the side pic and the tubes visible in the back on the right, there is also a drop checker in the front left.
Old 06-04-2011, 05:22 AM   #9 
LeroyTheBetta

Very pretty tanks, Abby!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby View Post
A planted tank, is a tank where fish are an after thought and plants are the main focus
Golly, then according to this..... EEks! I'd better spruce up my community & goldfish tanks! lol I wish I were a good aquascaper, then I might have pretty tanks! :) Those 2 tanks are more functional than pretty... they're a bit haphazardly planted. :( Coincidentally, tomorrow I plan to prune & rearrange a bit in the goldie's tank.

btw, Abby, what basic fertilizer would you recommend here in Oz? I don't have any plants on the "difficult" end... mine are all easy-care ones.

Last edited by LeroyTheBetta; 06-04-2011 at 05:27 AM.
LeroyTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 04:54 PM   #10 
Abby

The cheapest and easiest i have used is from Dave in Darwin. To make the postage cost worth it I'd buy two bottles OR plants while your at it. the web site is aquagreen.com.au
this is the link straight to the fertilizer "Dino Pee" lol
yes thats what he calls it, he also has dino spit and dino dung i love the dino dung but the dino dung is VERY messy and an under the gravel clay like fertilizer but everytime you TOUCH the fertilizer your tank clouds, it usually takes half hr or so to clear lol

http://aquagreen.com.au/plant_data/Dinosaur_Pee.html

(go to the catalog for all his items :) )