Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-15-2011, 08:46 PM   #1 
Jessabell

Wink I now have a new goal.... and a question to go about doing it.

Male betta are just NOT enough! I only have one atm, but I've had so many males. lol like two

But I keep on seeing female sororities! So now..that's my new goal!

My current half moon male is in a five gallon tank. I hate to do this, but I'm going to move him to a two gallon that I buy soon.

So my question is....how many females can you fit in a five gallon? I intend to use the one my male is in for my females.

I know I won't be able to keep a lot...but it just seems so much more fun than having one male :D
Jessabell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 08:56 PM   #2 
Nymmers

Approximately 2 females could fit in a 5 gallon happily, which isn't even enough for the minimum to have a peaceful sorority. They'd probably kill each other. Rather invest in a 2G, invest in a 10G, wal-mart sells (JUST THE TANK) for 12.99, check craigslist, and second-hand stores as well as yard sales. I got a 55G, for free, including, lights, filter, gravel and decorations, no header but hey, it was free! If you're uncomfortable going by yourself to pick up a tank, take a buddy.

Make this a goal, not a weekend project, buy the tank, then later buy a heater, then gravel, plants etc.. No need to break your wallet all at once. =D
Nymmers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 08:59 PM   #3 
Jessabell

Lol okay, thanks a lot!
Jessabell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 09:13 PM   #4 
youlovegnats

Doooo iiitttt!!!! I have a lovely 40 gal with 3 cories, a pleco, and my 3 girls ^^
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 09:15 PM   #5 
JKfish

Yay for a sorority!

They are awesome, though you should know the following:

A ten gallon (as stated above) is the minimum... personally, I would go for something closer to a 20 gallon; I had a 10 gallon sorority, but IMO things would have gone better if I had had more girls in a less cramped area.

10 gallon sororities can be difficult (sororities of unrelated girls in general are hard from what I've heard) seeing as you have to overstock a 10 gallon to have enough girls to spread out agression. In any sorority you'll need to invest in a good set up that is well planted and has a lot of hiding spots. You'll want things to block the line of sight in all areas: Top (the surface so the girls that are being beat on in the first few weeks can sneak some air), middle, and bottom.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 09:20 PM   #6 
Nymmers

Petsmart (which is where I read you got your male) also has 10G, just tanks for 12.99. They also have a starter kit (10G) for about 45 bucks, which has everything you need except for gravel, plants and decor (and of course your ladies!) or an Aquarium + hood for 29.99. a 20G will range you probably 50-100 bucks without gravel, decor and girls.

You could have 5 females in a 10G comfortably without being over stocked, it's over the minimum of 3. ^^

http://detroit.craigslist.org/search...ium&srchType=A
http://porthuron.craigslist.org/sear...ium&srchType=A

Last edited by Nymmers; 06-15-2011 at 09:26 PM.
Nymmers is offline   Reply With Quote