Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-31-2011, 11:14 PM   #1 
Ianthe

Exclamation Should I go back and rescue this guy? How should I treat him??

Hello, I am new to the forum but not to bettas :) I have been keeping them, off and on, since I was in high school....and I am almost 30 *sigh* LOL! Haven't had any for a few years, been busy with our 2 daughters, one is almost 5, the other is 15 months. Our 4 year old has been wanting one (and secretly so have I, it is a nasty addiction to kick!! lol) and saved up all her money for everything she would need. So today we went to *shudders* Petco and got a little tank, food, stress coat, etc, and then I took her to pick one out. There was the most pathetic, saddest looking betta in one of the cups. He is i *think* blue, but was mostly gray, laying on his side. When I picked up his cup he tried VERY hard to swim, but was having a lot of difficulty. He was VERY VERY emaciated. And breathing pretty heavy, and his fins didn't look great. The water in his death cup was fairly clean, but like, 1.5 inches deep. I tried my hardest to gently guide my daughter to pick him because I felt so bad! Alas, she wanted nothing to do with him and picked a flashy red and purple fellow (who had really bad clamped fins but looked GREAT compared to the other one). So we have her new betta home and in his pink and purple princess tank, LOL, and he is doing great, eating like a pig and exploring, and my daughter is thrilled.....but I can't get that other poor guy out of my head. Even if he is going to die, I feel like at least maybe he could do it here, out of that cup, with some dignity???

I don't have another tank. If I did get him and he made it, I could probably buy him one in the next 6 weeks or so. In the meantime, he would be going in to either a spare 2 gallon drum bowl or a spare 2 gallon vase I have. I was thinking that may be alright for short term even though he would have no heater, if I kept him in our kitchen...which is always almost at least a disgusting sweaty 79-80 degrees.

What do you think? should I go back tomorrow and grab him if he is still there? Give him a shot? What type of treatment/meds/etc would you all recommend?

Thank you!!!
Ianthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 11:25 PM   #2 
LeroyTheBetta

Congratulations on your daughter's new betta! Also, good luck with the poor guy if you decide to buy him.

First, if you'd keep him in the kitchen, I have read that on top of the fridge might be a warmer spot. But, get a thermometer (one for inside the tank, not external, to monitor temp in case it's in a really warm spot). Also, put some sort of lid on the tank. He could possibly jump out, but also to keep the air he'll breath close to the water temperature and not too cool as it could lead to problems if he breathes air much cooler than the water. If you don't have a lid, you could use plastic wrap and poke holes in it.

Be sure to use dechlorinator with the tank water... and keep the tank around 80 or so if you can. Though temperature is important, even more so is a STABLE temperature. Also, you could use aquarium salt (1 teaspoon/gallon) but for no longer than about a week to 10 days. But, I think that to start with just keeping the water very clean and a bit of salt will help a lot.

Last edited by LeroyTheBetta; 05-31-2011 at 11:28 PM.
LeroyTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 11:32 PM   #3 
Ianthe

Thanks! Yes, I was thinking dechlorinator and maybe some stress coat. If i do go back, and he is still alive, I will make sure and pick up a new thermometer and some salt, hadn't thought of good old salt! What do you think about something like Melafix or Bettafix? Possibly helpful/worth the money, or no? And should i go ahead and try to feed him our Hikari pellets, or try something else? Thanks!!!
Old 05-31-2011, 11:49 PM   #4 
LeroyTheBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianthe View Post
What do you think about something like Melafix or Bettafix? Possibly helpful/worth the money, or no? And should i go ahead and try to feed him our Hikari pellets, or try something else? Thanks!!!
Many people say that Melafix & Bettafix (which is pretty much the same as Melafix but not as concentrated) should not be used with fish with labyrinth organs (ie, Betta, gourami) as it will damage that organ, which is used for breathing in the betta. But also, many will say they have used it with bettas without problems.

With so many differing opinions (but seeming to weigh more heavily on the side of it being unsafe), MY opinion is to err on the side of safety and NOT use it. Although I'm definitely not a betta guru (Oldfishlady {aka OFL} is the betta guru here lol), I've just done a lot of researching on betta care, diseases, etc. and that's what I've concluded.

Oh, and the pellets... I don't have an opinion one way or the other on the brand of Hikari as I don't use it but many on this forum use it. But bettas usually need a bit higher protein than other fish so shoot for about 50% protein if you can find it, although you may only find 38% or so to about 45%. Variety is important, too, so maybe feed some frozen bloodworms (as a treat only... just a couple times a week).

Last edited by LeroyTheBetta; 05-31-2011 at 11:58 PM.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:52 PM   #5 
Ianthe

Oh wow, I had no idea!! I HAVE gotten out of the loop and rusty! LOL! Thanks for your feedback!!
Old 06-01-2011, 12:00 AM   #6 
LeroyTheBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianthe View Post
Oh wow, I had no idea!! I HAVE gotten out of the loop and rusty! LOL! Thanks for your feedback!!
Sure! And stay with this forum as there is so much good information here and lots of helpful people!
Old 06-01-2011, 01:18 PM   #7 
PewPewPew

If/when using melafix (I do, without bad results) in my 5 gallon tanks, I use half the dose (which is meant for 10 gallons), so 1/2tsp, then cut down again to 1/4tsp MAXIMUM.

The main reason people say not to use melafix is because its easy to overdose, not so much because of the damage (which is caused by *overdose), though it trickles down to be "damage" only.

Bettafix is fine, just...crappy lol! There are better meds out there, so its best not to waste the time and money with it. I'd get some aquarium salt instead, and maybe maracyn I or (heck, AND :P) II.

For now, Id shove in 1-2tsp of Aquarium salt, pre-dissolved in a cup in the same water as the tank. Lights off, water changes every other day to cut down on stress. Re-dose the salt on the 100% change day. Add in the salt (pre-dissolved water) slowly. Try for a quarter of the water every 5-10minutes so he can remain unstressed.

If you get him, we'd like to see pics, I hope he fares well. <3
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 02:05 PM   #8 
orphansparrow

and in case it wasn't clear, if you decide to use salt, buy aquarium salt from the pet store...not table salt. it's different stuff. ;)
orphansparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 02:14 PM   #9 
DeadMemories92

If you go back to get him. Ask if you can have him for free and tell them because he looks as if he's going to die.
DeadMemories92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 02:19 PM   #10 
Littlebittyfish

The poor little guy probably was suffering from ammonia poisoning...and stress... If you do go back to get him I would pick up some aquarium salt and black water extract if they have it...
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote