Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-04-2011, 01:24 AM   #21 
Ianthe

Thanks!!! :) With the water that low, how often should I change it out? Every 12 hours or so? I imagine the little guy is full of ammonia. When I change the water (planning to in the morning, if he is still alive), should I take him out or try to do it without removing him?
Ianthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 01:24 AM   #22 
Ianthe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
Oh yeah. Almost forgot. I've seen that heater at my local Petsmart.

Thanks!!!!!!
Old 06-04-2011, 01:28 AM   #23 
Sakura8

I think I'd definitely try and do a water change sometime in the morning. Since you'll probably have to change all the water, I'd say take him out. To make it easy, you can make up 1g of dechlorinated water with salt and keep it someplace relatively warm (just so long as the water doesn't get lower than 77 degrees). Then you can just pour what you need in and not have to worry about how much dechlorinator and salt to put in 1.5" worth of water.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 01:29 AM   #24 
Tisia

not sure if you'd need more water changes or not, but you'd definitely need to take him out for 100% probably just use the cup he came in to scoop him out. I try to avoid netting mine in general, but I think I'd doubly avoid it in his case
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 01:32 AM   #25 
newf

I got that heater at Petco. They have a great betta section here, and this was new in stock there. Hopefully they have one at the Petco where you are.
newf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 01:32 AM   #26 
Tisia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
I think I'd definitely try and do a water change sometime in the morning. Since you'll probably have to change all the water, I'd say take him out. To make it easy, you can make up 1g of dechlorinated water with salt and keep it someplace relatively warm (just so long as the water doesn't get lower than 77 degrees). Then you can just pour what you need in and not have to worry about how much dechlorinator and salt to put in 1.5" worth of water.
easy way to warm a jug if it's a bit cold, fill up a sink with hot water and stick it in there for a few minutes. if it gets too warm, you can refill the sink with cold. I've had to switch back and forth a couple times trying to get it right, lol
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 01:33 AM   #27 
Ianthe

Thank you so much, taking all suggestions and crossing all my fingers and toes!!!
Old 06-04-2011, 01:33 AM   #28 
Sakura8

Oh yeah, that's a good idea. Like, uhm, warming a baby bottle or something like that (not that I have any experience doing that, though).
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 01:34 AM   #29 
newf

I will cross mine too!
newf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 01:35 AM   #30 
Ianthe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tisia View Post
easy way to warm a jug if it's a bit cold, fill up a sink with hot water and stick it in there for a few minutes. if it gets too warm, you can refill the sink with cold. I've had to switch back and forth a couple times trying to get it right, lol
If we were on Facebook, I would "like" this. What a good tip! LOL