Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-06-2011, 08:38 AM   #1 
HayrideHaunter

Plant advice

I plan on going to petco sometime this week to purchase my first live plant or two!!!

I would however like some pointers first! I want to get a marimo eventually, so please include that in any advice you post =)

First: if i cant get naner lillies (my first choice) what would be a fancy, small beginners plant? My tank is a 2gal...I'll be replacing fakes with live...but I dont want the tank to end up ridiculously overgrown...so what would be best for my betta boy, and what would be easiest to keep alive? Im a little paranoid...I've had Marbles for something like 7 months and he has not been sick a single time...not even a little...I desperately want to keep it that way...so what precautions should I take and what plants do you recommend?
HayrideHaunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 09:53 AM   #2 
HayrideHaunter

bumpers? =3
Old 06-06-2011, 10:26 AM   #3 
Littlebittyfish

I think anubias, java ferns and mosses are pretty easy fool proof plants...I also like wisteria and rotala rotundifolia.
What type of lighting are you using?
I usually just rinse my plants in water in the sink...You could QT. them...but I have never gotten anything harmful from live plants...just snails..
If they have live fish in the plant tank make sure to get a good look at them though just in case....I went to my local petco the other day to get plants ...There were fish skeletons on the bottom of the tank and a one eyed fish swimming around lethargic...I decided not to buy plants that day......Whatever was going on with those fish..I did not want to risk giving to my fish...Not to sure how likely it was they would get whatever was going on with those fish..but I didn't wanna take the chance...
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 11:13 AM   #4 
Creat

Java fern is a must for any beginner I feel but it grows best on pieces of wood. Cryptocorynes are slow growing but they come in a ton of varieties and are super easy. Vals are great plants too but get large. But I am sure you could grow a lilly if you wanted as long as you have about 2 watts per gallon of water or your tank isnt that deep most anything will do great. I grow a ton of lilies actually they seem to be the only thing I can grow, I just add Flourish usually excel and a few others and anything I grow takes off like crazy.
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 11:22 AM   #5 
redbettagirl

It most definitely depends on how much light your tank gets. If the answer is low-light, I too would recommend java ferns, crypts, or anubias. Anubias are great if you don't want them to grow too fast and take over your small 2-gallon tank, as they only produce a new leaf every three weeks or so in low light.
redbettagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 11:38 AM   #6 
HayrideHaunter

looks like I've got a 7watt fluorescent bulb =)

i really like anubias...I have gravel as substrate, would that be suitable for them? Or by "rock" does it mean they like actual large rocks to grow on?
Old 06-06-2011, 11:52 AM   #7 
Creat

Anubis would be fine in gravel I grow most of my plants in sand covered with gravel but straight gravel wont hurt. Most plants I have found arent picky where they are. And I would suggest if you have the option buy plants from a good LFS or online even though its more expensive the plants are 150% better.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:55 AM   #8 
HayrideHaunter

erp...i dont really =P...i figure if I go to petco, and i pick the best, healthiest looking plants I can, and QT them before putting them in my tank for a while...ill be okay >.<

Im not new to plants...just aquatic ones =3
Old 06-06-2011, 11:57 AM   #9 
Creat

I just have had bad experiences with petco plants and I wouldnt worry about QT to much I just give them a good cleaning with some AQ salt and they should be fine and who knows your petco might be better then mine :)
Old 06-06-2011, 11:59 AM   #10 
HayrideHaunter

okay =) (yeah...mine isnt horrible...their bettas are usually pretty healthy and stuff...)

what do you mean clean them with AQ salt? how do you do that, soak them in water with some in it?