Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-05-2011, 01:03 PM   #11 
smellsfishie

Here's mine from NIB... :D

This one looks similar to the ugly duckling, so I named him/her "Goose"! (MY FAVORITE OF THEM ALL!)
Name:  Bettas and tanks 026.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  29.4 KB

This one I think is female? Sometimes her fins are a bit red but not in this pic. I think I will name her "Peapod".
Name:  Bettas and tanks 038.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  29.6 KB

This one is one of the more aggressive ones (flaring at the others) and came stark white but then turned dark bodied with red fins, then light bodied with red fins, then no color, then medium colored body with red fins.... This is "Chameleon" ;)
Name:  Bettas and tanks 051.jpg
Size:  26.2 KB

I think this one is a boy, as he seems more aggressive and his fins are a bit longer than the other ones. He is very active! he resembles a grizzled grey betta I almost adopted from a betta rescue, that looked like an airplane to me... so, this guy is "Aviator".
Name:  Bettas and tanks 066.jpg
Size:  27.3 KB

This little sweet pea is the tiniest of them all, and was not doing so hot a few days ago (kinda tilty, laying to one side, not moving much)... but, she (?) is doing better now after some TLC. I don't have a name for this one yet.
Name:  Bettas and tanks 069.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  23.8 KB

This one I believe is female but could be male... Has a big belly... I don't know what to name this one either.
Name:  Bettas and tanks 079.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  38.4 KB

Last but not least, the star of the show... :) This is "FUEGO!" He was a birthday present for my fiance.
Name:  Bettas and tanks 084.jpg
Size:  35.9 KB

Last edited by smellsfishie; 06-05-2011 at 01:04 PM. Reason: typo
smellsfishie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 03:24 PM   #12 
russalka

Smellsfishie - They look great! Chameleon and Aviator both have freckles on their dorsal fins.
russalka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 06:19 PM   #13 
smellsfishie

cute, huh? hehe! I am so curious to see what they will look like full grown... :D Is this usually the size of a 4 mo old betta? Or are they usually bigger? Both my girls from Thailand were 3.5-4 mo and came to me "full grown" so either the breeder in thailand was lying orrrr?
Old 06-05-2011, 06:40 PM   #14 
bettalover2033

Oh my gosh! They are beautiful! And such unique pattern.
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 08:22 PM   #15 
russalka

Quote:
Originally Posted by smellsfishie View Post
cute, huh? hehe! I am so curious to see what they will look like full grown... :D Is this usually the size of a 4 mo old betta? Or are they usually bigger? Both my girls from Thailand were 3.5-4 mo and came to me "full grown" so either the breeder in thailand was lying orrrr?
I have a feeling that bettas grow at different rates. I found a betty splendens chart that puts bettas at 1.9 inches at 11 weeks old. Mine are definitely smaller than that. I'll be interested to see if they stay smaller or if they catch up with the 100% water change/jarring process.

It might be possible to help the growing through jarring and frequest water changes. I read a thread on a message board where a better owner decided to see whether his adult but small betta would grow if the owner did daily 100 percent water changes. The answer was yes, but the owner gave up the experiment after 1 month because the betta was getting p.o.'ed about the frequent water changes.
Old 06-05-2011, 08:36 PM   #16 
1fish2fish

Just start feeding him lots of food and doing daily water changes and he'll start growing really well. The higher quality the food you feed the better of he'll be. His belly should look very round once he's done eating but after a few hours it should be back to normal size.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 08:48 PM   #17 
russalka

@1fish2fish - Thanks!
Old 06-05-2011, 11:12 PM   #18 
smellsfishie

I need to get more variety in the diet I think, but I plan on frequent (but not daily) water changes (maybe every 2 days)... and I am feeding both Omega 1 pellets and Hikari betta Bio Gold pellets, crushed to size for their itty bitty mouths, and frozen bloodworms. What foods are you doing?
Old 06-05-2011, 11:55 PM   #19 
DarkMoon17

For the ones I got from NIB I'm feeding Atison's Betta Pro, frozen Bloodworms, frozen glassworms (mosquito larva) and frozen brine shrimp 2-3 times per day plus 100% daily water changes. Can't wait to see them grow!

You can't really compare Thai betta growth to ours here in the US... Thailand is their native home, they can get everything they need to grow there. The conditions are perfect for them. We do our best but we can't really reproduce those same conditions no matter how hard me try!
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 02:23 AM   #20 
copperarabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by newf View Post
I would love to get some of these fish, but I am not sure if they would make it all the way to Texas. They look gorgeous Congratulations
Mine got to me fine and I'm all the way in California with priority :)
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote