Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-04-2011, 04:07 PM   #11 
PitGurl

I know at Petco they come pre-labled. Sometimes I think the wholesales don't know what they have. I was there they other day and they had a DT female labled as a VT.
PitGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 04:58 PM   #12 
elijahfeathers

With petco they come pre-labled. I don't think I'd do any lid-switching to get a reduced price fish myself. It feels a lot like stealing to me, and I don't think it's okay just because the people aren't educated enough to notice, or that the animals aren't in the best shape. It just goes againt my morals, I guess. Since they come pre-labled I don't have a problem grabbing anyone who's underpriced... but meh. Depending on the lable, they pay so much to GET that fish. You can say it doesn't bother petco or a big chain, and one or two people doing it doesn't really. But they'll notice eventually. Prices climb even higher, and you DO hurt that one store some.
elijahfeathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 05:40 PM   #13 
kathstew

I've never switched a lid. The only time I WOULD do it, was if the fish I was buying was labeled wrong and the fish shouldn't cost that much. Like I would switch the lid of a veiltail if it said it was a halfmoon. I wouldn't want to pay the extra money. That being said, I had never thought of switching lids until recently, because of you guys! LOL. I bought a fish that was mislabelled once. A male plakat labelled as a girl; I didn't realize until like two weeks later though, so it was kinda too late. xD
kathstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 10:33 PM   #14 
Arashi Takamine

Honestly? If it was between letting it die at the hands of the weekend idiot care-taker instead of the usual woman I'd do lid switching and make up for it by buying a heater which would make up for the cost. So I wouldn't have qualms about it.

I think it's also because they are alive that people do lid switching. It's not like changing the price on a Barbie doll. Lid switching isn't good if your just doing it to get it cheap. If it's going to save it's life so you can buy the medicine or tank it's a different story.
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 10:55 PM   #15 
Silverfang

That's not an option back home, we have veil tails, and more veil tails. One store has crown tails, and they're kinda obvious so wouldn't work.
Not that I would do that, I'm too **** honest.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 12:04 PM   #16 
Creat

I have never bothered to switch lids I just go and bargain the price down and I can usually get half off when the fish are in such rough shape. and petco just changed their sign on me and i ended up getting a hm for 15$ agh. but I remeber a time when they didnt even include deltas and any fish with fins like a hm was a hm
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 08:17 PM   #17 
caitic10

Ive never switched lids before...and probably wont. My local pet store only carries VTs so lid switching would be pointless and the closest Petsmart has their bettas right next to the cash registers thus making lid switching impossible.
caitic10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 09:47 PM   #18 
puppyrjjkm

Petsmart comes pre-labeled as well. Since I work there I always take a look at the new shipments and switch around some if mixed up. But sometimes we don't have extra lids so they have to stay incorrectly labeled.
puppyrjjkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 02:03 AM   #19 
FuulieQ

I don't think I'd switch a lid unless a less expensive fish was marked as a more expensive one, and even then I'd tell the employees about it to make sure it was okay that I did it. However, if you're gonna label an HMPK as a VT female, then the blame's on you and I won't say a peep about it. xD

.... Or maybe I would after they'd already rung it up.
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote