Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-05-2011, 12:06 PM   #11 
orphansparrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeTheFish View Post
I put him under a translucent window so he will get the warmth from the sunlight but won't be exposed directly to the rays (it gets pretty hot here in Alabama!) Will that be okay for the fish?
actually, that is NOT a good idea. in such a small container, being by a window will cause the temperature to fluctuate too much. temperature consistency is whats important.

like we already said above, he needs a heater - not because it's not warm where you live, but because it will keep the temperature consistent in his tank.

good luck!!
orphansparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 06:03 PM   #12 
nel3

i havent seen too much difference with my .5 gal water temp and its usually near a window. from waht ive seen, it just drops down to slightly below room temp if not holds it a bit above room temp (but still below 26) a bit longer.

how much more does prime water conditioner cost and which bottle size is the best deal. the nutrafin 2 fl oz needs 1 capful for each half gal. daily 100 wc makes it last rather short.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 06:08 PM   #13 
DukeTheFish

Thank you so much for the advice, everyone! I've moved the aquarium to a warm spot in the apartment away from the window. I changed the water again today and will keep cleaning the aquarium until I get a new, 2.5 gallon aquarium this week! I'd heard about the pellets and I will get those when I get the new aquarium.

Duke seems to be doing so much better. He's more active although he generally only eats one flake of food. I'm not really sure if he's just shy and doesn't like to come to the surface when I'm there or what's going on.

I really appreciate the help!
DukeTheFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 08:43 PM   #14 
Sakura8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nel3 View Post
i havent seen too much difference with my .5 gal water temp and its usually near a window. from waht ive seen, it just drops down to slightly below room temp if not holds it a bit above room temp (but still below 26) a bit longer.

how much more does prime water conditioner cost and which bottle size is the best deal. the nutrafin 2 fl oz needs 1 capful for each half gal. daily 100 wc makes it last rather short.
Petco.com lists the regular price of Prime as $6.99 for 3.4 oz and $8.99 for 8.45 oz. It says each measuring thread on the cap is one ml. Its dosage is 1 capful for 50 gallons so I'd say one ml would work for you. Says the smaller size will treat up to 1,000g.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 09:38 AM   #15 
nel3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
Petco.com lists the regular price of Prime as $6.99 for 3.4 oz and $8.99 for 8.45 oz. It says each measuring thread on the cap is one ml. Its dosage is 1 capful for 50 gallons so I'd say one ml would work for you. Says the smaller size will treat up to 1,000g.
thank you very much sakura, $7 for 3.4oz is a rather decent price given nutrafin costs $5 here. if i cant find it here would it be better to buy 2 small ones or 1 larger one to make it worth the shipping price? i'll be checking the pet shop today if they have it. not sure they might as they have alot of nutrafin products. though its a must have water conditioner for me for all the future water changes i'm going to do.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:09 AM   #16 
Sakura8

I'm not sure about the shipping prices. I'd say maybe get 2 smaller bottles so that you only have to open one bottle and the other one can stay fresh until it's used. Just to let you know ahead of time, I have heard that Prime can have a strong smell, kind of sulfur smelling. It's because it's highly concentrated, though, so the smell is normal and you can't smell anything once you add it to the water. Just that good ol' "aquarium" smell.
Old 06-06-2011, 12:09 PM   #17 
nel3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
I'm not sure about the shipping prices. I'd say maybe get 2 smaller bottles so that you only have to open one bottle and the other one can stay fresh until it's used. Just to let you know ahead of time, I have heard that Prime can have a strong smell, kind of sulfur smelling. It's because it's highly concentrated, though, so the smell is normal and you can't smell anything once you add it to the water. Just that good ol' "aquarium" smell.
thank you sakura. i found some prime nearby but the price is questionable, $17 CAD w/o tax for 8.5 oz and $31 for 2x quantity container. i didn't get it until i know if its a decent price compared to petco. petco for 1x 3.4oz with shipping would probably be $11 ($6 shipping) and $13 W shipping for a 8.5oz. it'll probably be $20 to buy locally.

in the mean time i bought gold fish bowl conditioner for the ammonia aspect of WC. does the ammonia treatment do anything to prolong water changes in tanks smaller than 3gal?
Old 06-06-2011, 12:12 PM   #18 
Sakura8

I can't speak from personal experience, unfortunately. In theory, it sounds like it should but I really don't know. Does it say it detoxifies ammonia or locks it up? There are products like API Ammo-Lock but I don't know how well or even if they work.

Say, has anyone ever read any studies on how much ammonia a single betta produces in 24 hours? Just curious to know.
Old 06-06-2011, 12:47 PM   #19 
nel3

it says it neutralizes the ammonia.
Old 06-06-2011, 03:01 PM   #20 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeTheFish View Post
The cup he was in was nasty
IMO this may be the problem. Some if not most bettas can endure poor conditions as long as its stable. But once you remove him to a "Perfect" condition, he will have problems from the difference in water prams (some may even die). This is why acclimating is advised.

Just keep everything stable (heat, Ph, etc). As long as he is willing to eat, he will be fine...... A bigger tank would be much better for both you and him.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote