Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-06-2011, 02:27 AM   #11 
gummi

Sorry, double post.
gummi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 03:33 AM   #12 
PewPewPew

1tsp/gallon ;D That and clean water should be all you need to ever cure rot, so long as its not some very resistant kind.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 02:49 PM   #13 
gummi

Quote:
Originally Posted by PewPewPew View Post
1tsp/gallon ;D That and clean water should be all you need to ever cure rot, so long as its not some very resistant kind.
The dosage on the bottle is 1tablespoon per 5 gallons. Do you think I should disregard that? 1 teaspoon per gallon would be almost double the label dosage. Just want to be sure.

Last edited by gummi; 06-06-2011 at 02:51 PM.
Old 06-06-2011, 04:37 PM   #14 
Oldfishlady

For a therapeutic dosage for treatment/medication....starting dose is 1tsp/gal up to 3tsp/gal for both aquarium and Epsom salt and in some cases higher doses are needed/used....

Aquarium salt (sodium chloride) 1-3tsp/gal for 10-14 days
Epsom salt (magnesium sulfate) 1-3tsp/gal for 10-14 days, however, it can be used safely long term when aquarium salt should not with this species of fish

Aquarium salt can also be harmful to some salt sensitive plants, fish and inverts..
Epsom salt is generally plant safe and can also be used as plant ferts...however, some salt sensitive fish can not tolerate it...

Its important with any medication/product used-to be used for the right reason, dosage and duration

Treating or adding medication "just because" can sometimes do more harm than good...just as using a pinch here and there..."just in case"....overuse or misuse can also be toxic to the fish especially when adding multi chemicals to the tank and/or used longer than needed, the wrong reason..etc........some chemical reactions can be deadly

Its best to use QT containers that are clear, bare bottom and small when treating a single fish......however, with community tanks sometimes the whole tank may need treatment if more than one fish is involved and/or parasites...as with everything....this can vary......case-by-case.....

Pre-mixing salts is recommended......by using 1gal jug of dechlorinated water-add salt-tannins.....shake well before use...this can make water changes and correct dosage easier......

The number one medication IMO/E-is fresh dechlorinated like temp water from regular water changes......

To be a good keeper of fish you must first be a good keeper of water....

Freshwater fish thrive with fresh water.......

Nine of ten reasons fish become ill can be traced back to water quality issues.......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 06:03 PM   #15 
gummi

Thanks for the tips. I may just leave it be for now and stick with the partial water changes only. It doesn't appear to be affecting his health as he is still very acting and blowing new bubble nests on a daily basis.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:08 PM   #16 
Oldfishlady

Sounds like a good plan......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 10:06 PM   #17 
Neil D

Sorry to hijack this thread, but my guy also has rot and his qt container holds 2 quarts (floated in his 10G tank). How much AQ salt should I add for that? Or should I just mix it in a gallon container and use water from that as necessary?
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 10:08 PM   #18 
PewPewPew

For future, just google "how many quarts in a gallon" (which is 4 quarts), which means...
1tsp/gallon...which also means 1tsp/4quarts...which means 1/2 tsp per 2 quarts.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 10:12 PM   #19 
Neil D

Haha I knew that, but I'm soo sleepy right now I can't even think!!! I've done this measurement and came up with a 1/4 of a tsp! I'm soo dumb when I'm panicked or sleepy. Or awake. And pew, I posted the samequestion as above in the Q Question thread all eggs in one basket and all that...
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote