Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-01-2011, 07:27 PM   #1 
GunsABlazin

Beginners issue?

I have a male VT, about a year old. I have been conditioning him to a female that is about 5 months old for almost a week. She is pale/translucent yellow (so wont show bars). She has a huge belly(with eggs i do think, its new and i haven't fed her today) and is behaving submisivly to him. His bubble nest is HUGE. They are in together, but he doesn't want her anywhere near the nest. He is chasing her all over the tank with his gills fully flaird, this has been going on for about 30mins.
Is it just because he has never spawned before, and doesn't quite know what to do...or do i need to start over after a couple weeks?
GunsABlazin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 09:02 PM   #2 
GunsABlazin

Anybody?
Old 06-01-2011, 09:17 PM   #3 
Smr2892

Well I'm no expert, but you sound in need of some help. Your best bet from what I've read on here is to ask yourself if he's being TOO aggressive. Is he hurting her? If he's just chasing her away from the nest, I might think that he's just not done with it yet. If he's really going after her then they may not be compatible. I've never bred bettas, but I'm planning on it, this is all from stuff I've read on this forum.
Smr2892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 09:23 PM   #4 
1fish2fish

The male will chase the female away until he feels his nest is ready. If he is being overly aggressive remove the female immediately. If he is just flaring and chasing a bit leave them be.

Edit.

Also you need to condition fish for at least 2 weeks prior to spawning. She's probably not ready to spawn and he may not be either. Spawning takes a lot out of the fish and not having been properly conditioned can put them in a dangerous situation.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 09:35 PM   #5 
GunsABlazin

I had her in a container in his tank for about a week before now and she was acting like he didnt exist. When i moved her back into her own, she started acting realy depressed and got a realy big belly (took about 2 hours). So i put her back into the vase in his tank for another week. If she is full of eggs, and i remove her, can it have an ill effect on her? or will she just release them and be fine?
I dont realy know what super agressive looks like...he chases her alot and has left little freys on the end of her tail fin, but he lets her get away when he has the oppertunity to really hurt her.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:38 PM   #6 
Creat

As long as they have been conditioned properly and the female has plenty of hiding places I would leave her in there. With my first time breeding males they will act aggressive to the female for a while but they do do that little dance display and will flare for the female. If the female is still receptive to the male, head down and swimming up to him I would give them time.
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 09:47 PM   #7 
GunsABlazin

im just worried he is going to hurt her. :-/
I think im going to take her out for now and let her have some TLC. Try again in a few weeks.
But, just to make sure, with a big ol' tummy, removeing her isnt going to cause her problems will it?
Old 06-01-2011, 09:51 PM   #8 
Creat

I doubt it would cause any problems she will probably just reabsorb them. And yeah they do get real torn sometimes but I have had plenty of females later on retaliate on the male... I wouldnt worry to much.
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 09:56 PM   #9 
GunsABlazin

I just took her out and destroyed his beautiful bubble-nest. It was big enough i could have placed both halves of a Styrofoam cup over it, end to end. and it was 3 layers thick.
Thank you guys. She probubly would have been fine, but she is just to cute to risk untill im 100% sure they are both ready.
Old 06-05-2011, 12:13 PM   #10 
turtle10

Did you condition them? (daily 100% water changes for two weeks, LOTS of live foods, etc)

Also, you said you left her in the jar in the tank for a week and then another week, did you do any water changes then? Because ammonia will build up very fast in anything jar sized. How often do you change there water and how much?
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote