Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-27-2011, 04:14 PM   #1 
mnikki423

Talking new betta tank

I was just wondering if i could put a betta fish in a vase type thing with a plant in it? or would i have to have an actual tank?? Help would be greatly appreciated.....
Thanks!!
mnikki423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 05:10 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum......

The biggest problem with the vase with the plant- its usually a peace lily or lucky bamboo that are used/sold like that along with the Betta......anyway....the plant roots can limits space and the fish could get tangled and the Bettas ability to get to the top for air can be limited/obstructed by the plant itself.... it can be hard to heat properly, feed and clean/maintain......
A vase can be fine to keep a Betta if its at least 1gal IMO/E...others may disagree with the size issue...but provided that you make the needed water changes on a 1gal unfiltered container..be it a vase, bowl or small tank.......you can safely heat, care and keep this species long term with twice weekly water changes of 1-50% and 1-100%.......in my opinion and experience based on experiments I have conducted.....

Look forward to hearing about and seeing pic of your wet-pet and setup.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 05:32 PM   #3 
mnikki423

OK!!! What should i stick in the actual vase then? what kind of plants? or decorations?? Im trying to get one for my grandma because she used to have a koi pond and she couldnt see them... so i was thinking a betta inside her house because it is brightly colored so it would be good!!!!!

Thanks!
Old 05-27-2011, 08:15 PM   #4 
mnikki423

fish with betta

what kind of other fish or water animals can u stick with bettas?
Old 05-27-2011, 08:51 PM   #5 
sjones

It's a nice idea that you want to do something thoughtful for your grandmother, however pets shouldn't really be gifts. There is a lot of responsibility in taking care of one and once you have one it is your responsibility to care for it its entire life.
It's good you came here to research betta care before hand. It is actually a lot of work taking care of a betta fish. For example a betta in a one gallon container would need frequent water changes about three times a week.
You can read more about betta care here: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49160

To answer your question a 1 gallon tank is to small to add any other tank mates to.
sjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 09:06 PM   #6 
Littlebittyfish

I just wanted to tell you about the cookie jar.....

It is two gallons..and nicely shaped. The opening is big enough so that you can fit in a heater.The problem I have had with keeping bettas in a vase is the top part is so small it makes it nearly impossible to get the fish out during water changes without stressing the little guy out...I usually scoop my fish up with the cup that they came in..I don't like using nets...I think it is less stressful for them this way...Anyways..It is a two gallon cookie jar and it is sold at walmart for 9 dollars in the jar part of the store ...
There are a few people here who use them...And I will be getting one soon for my fish who is currently in Qt. ..Atleast until I can save up for something bigger for him..

Here is a photo of one:

(not my photos)

Looks like this in the store:

I wouldnt use the lid though...You can use saran wrap with holes poked in it or a piece of plexi glass with holes poked it in as a lid cover..It helps keep the air above nice and humid.Also bettas are jumpers! They can jump up pretty high!So having something over the top is pretty important I think...

I also like my 3 gallon critter keepers...I use a desk light for the light...I like that they come with a lid...
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 09:08 PM   #7 
Fermin

Hi there.
I would advise against giving your grandmother a 'betta in a vase' unless she is prepared to do the 50-100% water changes twice a week and properly care for a fish as Oldfishlady explained to you above.

If your grandmother wanted to go on vacation, who would take care of the betta? If the betta gets sick, is your grandmother prepared to pay for medicines for it and treat it? Fish are not appropriate 'surprise' gifts because they are often quite a lot of work and require planning.

A 'betta in a vase' is too small to add additional fish or water animals.

If your grandmother wants to have an aquarium of her own, in my opinion it would be much less work for her in the long run if you helped her set up a fully-cycled, heated, filtered ~10g tank. <--With this, she wouldn't have to be doing 50-100% water changes twice a week because the bacterial cycle would help to keep the ammonia/nitrite/nitrate cycle in check, water temps would be more stable, you could add live plants, and the betta would have room to thrive.

Hope this helps
-Fermin
Fermin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 09:08 PM   #8 
carzz

It's okay to put them in a vase.
But make it a good sized one. You'll need a lot of water changes, about one every other, every 3rd day...
And the plant is not to be used as a food source :) make sure you feed them.
carzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 11:42 PM   #9 
PewPewPew

I agree with fermin.. The smaller the tank, the more work she'll have. Id ask her beforehand if she'd be willing/able to do that kind of work.

If so, then wee!

Try to get a vase thats like two gallons, or a two gallon drum bowl. Theyre cute and less work than a 1 gallon.

Go for any (fake) plants that arent sharp or made of plastic. Gets pellets, no freeze dried food, and a heater is a must. Dechlorinator, too! <3
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 01:09 AM   #10 
mnikki423

Talking

Thank yall all for the responses...

The betta is not a surprise gift for my grandmother... she knows about it and kinda suggested it! Im just researching it for her to see whats best. The vase is more like a 2 or 3 gallon vase not a 1 gallon I would feel bad for the poor little guy in something that small!

The fishy friends would be for my betta that i plan on getting in a 5 or 10g tank i have both! I want to add friends just not sure what would be best for him...

I never thought about the cookie jar thing.. thats such a good idea, thanks!
I never knew that you could add bamboo too the tanks!

So far her tank will have bamboo and a betta fish..:D is there any suggestions on where to buy the fish because i dont want her to get a sick or bad little guy! She is well aware of the time that it will take to take care of a betta she has always been an animal and fish person! Fish are not tiring for her!

Should we stick rocks or pebels in the bottom of the tank?

Once again thanks for the help everyone!! :D