Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-05-2011, 11:57 AM   #1 
JoseyWales

Cloudy Water

Hello, here's my first post and I'm already asking for help!

I recently bought a Betta fish and a Tetra i3 filter. I've owned a couple Betta fish before, but never had a filter in their aquarium. I'm using a smallish (I believe 3 gallon) aquarium that I've used before. I've only had my current fish in the aquarium for two days and already the water is cloudy (whitish). I haven't had the filter running full time because it was pretty noisy before I wrapped it in rubber bands. Still I've had it running for at least half the time I've had it.

I think maybe the cause is overfeeding? Because my Betta wasn't eating right away I think I might have put in too many pellets. Also I put a fake plant in the path of water that comes out of the filter so the water doesn't move around too much and disturb my Betta, maybe that's it?

Also can I expect my filter to filter out any uneaten pellets or am I possibly just having too high of expectations for this thing?

Thanks.
JoseyWales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 12:22 AM   #2 
PewPewPew

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseyWales View Post
Hello, here's my first post and I'm already asking for help!

I recently bought a Betta fish and a Tetra i3 filter. I've owned a couple Betta fish before, but never had a filter in their aquarium. I'm using a smallish (I believe 3 gallon) aquarium that I've used before. I've only had my current fish in the aquarium for two days and already the water is cloudy (whitish). I haven't had the filter running full time because it was pretty noisy before I wrapped it in rubber bands. Still I've had it running for at least half the time I've had it.

I think maybe the cause is overfeeding? Because my Betta wasn't eating right away I think I might have put in too many pellets. Also I put a fake plant in the path of water that comes out of the filter so the water doesn't move around too much and disturb my Betta, maybe that's it?

Also can I expect my filter to filter out any uneaten pellets or am I possibly just having too high of expectations for this thing?

Thanks.
Whooah! Yes! Those expectations are much too high. If your filter was that strong, it'd suck the poor fish up.

You should be giving your betta no more than 2 pellets at one time. Give him a bit to eat it, and then feed the second. I personally like to feed only one at a time, but 3 times a day (morning, noon and night), so he doesnt get all bloated.

I say, right now, do a 100% water change for the little guy. Put him in his cup and dump the tank. Clean it and the gravel (if you have it) with warm water, and do it really, really well, to get all the pellets out. Clean off the plant, too, and give the carbon from the filter (the grey thing) a decent rinse in water, too.

Add everything back in, and keep the new water (use conditioner!) around 78'F, or between 76-82'. Turn on your heater with the new water in, and float your guy in the cup, add in new water every 5 minutes for about 15 minutes (to avoid shock).

Keep the filter running (so long as its not loud for you) all day, and you can avoid having to do those constant 100% weekly water changes, ech!

I'd make sure that in your tank you do a 50% water change at least each week, to keep ammonia down and keep the tank clean. Best yet, in a 2-3 gallon tank without live plants, do a 50% change in the week and a 100% in the week, too.

Keep the pellets to only what he eats (keep a max of 3-4 a day), and remove if he doesnt finish them.

:D

Last edited by PewPewPew; 06-06-2011 at 12:24 AM.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 02:00 AM   #3 
JoseyWales

Wow, thanks for the info! I'm definitely going to use that. One question though, how clear should I expect the water to be? Is it always a sign something is wrong if it's a little cloudy?
JoseyWales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 02:35 AM   #4 
PewPewPew

Your water may just be a little cloudy, sometimes, water is.

But not too too much! Usually, the water is clear. Just wondering, does the tank get lots of light? If so, it could also be bacterial bloom/algae. Try keeping the lights off unless youre checking your fish out to avoid this.

Try the other stuff in combo and see if it'll clear up!

If you DO have gravel, give it a good rinse again, too...It might be that, either leeching color or sandy particles.

Oh oh! And remember noooo soap! <3 EVER!
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote