Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-05-2011, 07:58 PM   #1 
cwenger5

Exclamation ABSOLUTE EMERGENCY! Please help ASAP!!

I posted a few days ago about POW, he had an injury that ultimately damaged a swim blater.

He has been getting worse by the day and this morning when I left for work I was hoping he would pass, and not have to continue suffering. Tonight I have found him much worse. :(

I really do not believe there is any way to save him. and I absolutely hate having to ask a question like this, I hope you guys dont hate me...

Whats the most humane way to put a fish down?

The picture below was taken last night, and he looks a million times worse.
I can not stand to just wait until he dies. He lays at the ottom on his side or his back breathing extremley fast. He can dart up to the top of the tank and jump out of the water, to get air then falls like a rock back down to the bottom. He can not swim or hover.Just vertical. He hasnt eaten in over a week and hes almost transparent...

Any suggestions would be very helpful. I know this is a terrible topic but i CAN NOT stand to watch him suffer. I have had him a long time and just want this to be over. Please help.

cwenger5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 08:05 PM   #2 
Burd

http://www.fishchannel.com/fish-health/euthanasia.aspx

This link seems to have the most information of the ones I checked. Of the methods described, I'd personally go with Clove Oil... though I have no idea where to get it.
Burd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 08:11 PM   #3 
Creat

Im really sorry about your boy but I usually go with clove oil.
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 08:16 PM   #4 
LeroyTheBetta

Here's an additional link about euthanasia options:

http://thegab.org/Illness-and-Treatment/euthanasia.html

So sorry to hear about your poor betta!
LeroyTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 10:32 PM   #5 
DarkMoon17

I'm sorry to hear about your poor betta...

The most humane method is an overdose of clove oil followed by some form of alcohol to guarantee death... Clove oil numbs them completely, but they don't actually "fall asleep". Because they lose motility before they pass it can be difficult to tell if they have actually gone, so following up with something that guarantees death is necessary...
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 10:40 PM   #6 
LeroyTheBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMoon17 View Post
I'm sorry to hear about your poor betta...

The most humane method is an overdose of clove oil followed by some form of alcohol to guarantee death... Clove oil numbs them completely, but they don't actually "fall asleep". Because they lose motility before they pass it can be difficult to tell if they have actually gone, so following up with something that guarantees death is necessary...
I'm not quite sure alcohol would be a good idea, only because of what I've read..... several times I have read that alcohol would be quite painful as it is such an irritant. Even clove oil is an irritant, but I think that if you did an overdose with clove oil and left the fish for longer than was suggested would be better. With an overdose, the respirations will decline and eventually stop, therefore the fish could not recover from that. IMO, I'd think just the recommended overdose would be sufficient. I'd just be worried that if I were to do this to my fish (or anyone to their fish, for that matter) that while the fish was very much under the anesthetic, he'd still have some sensation to such an irritant as alcohol.
LeroyTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 11:04 PM   #7 
DarkMoon17

Yes, but the problem is that clove oil isn't a guaranteed death. People have had their fish "wake up" from it. You should always follow up with something else... freezing, decapitation or taking them out of the water following clove oil are other options.
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 12:37 AM   #8 
PewPewPew

Best matches everything Ive ever seen used...Im sorry about him, I am :'c <3

This method is a MASSIVE overdose (administered gradually), which will assure death.. Its roughly a tsp-tbs (depending on what you do), which is enough to make your mouth numb, wow...

http://www.oscarfishlover.com/helpfu...euthanize-fish
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 12:56 AM   #9 
Sakura8

I've read in a fish health book that it's important to destroy the brain because it is highly resistant to hypoxy, meaning it can survive without oxygen/blood for a long time. Use clove oil and then, if you can stomach it, put a sharp object through the brain. I know it's gruesome but there is evidence that the brain can still be "alive."
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote