Fin Rot? Some questions.

What size is your tank? 1.5 gal
What temperature is your tank? 78F
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Nutrafin Max pellets, and for treats Bettamin flakes and pre-soaked freeze dried blood worms.
How often do you feed your betta fish? He gets two of the pellets twice a day every day except Friday (Friday is fasting day). He gets one bloodworm on Sunday and Thursday (after the water changes), and sometimes I'll give him some flakes/ shrimp bits from Bettamin on Tuesday ("shrimp day" :3).

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Every Sunday and Thursday (twice a week).
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%, except today I did 80%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? AquaSafe, and today aquarium salt.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: N/A
Nitrate: N/A
pH: N/A
Hardness: N/A
Alkalinity: N/A

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? When I first got him (two weeks ago) he had a bit of black around the edge of his caudal fin, and it was lighter before the black on that same fin, and it was lighter on his anal fin. There was also a tiny hole in his anal fin. I thought it might be mild fin rot, so I kept an eye on it, but it did not progress, so I thought perhaps that was just how he was coloured. Yesterday, I noticed that his caudal fin has reduced in size by literally about 50%, and his anal fin is going down as well, and there's more black on his caudal fin. There's also another tiny hole on his cadual fin. I don't know how that happened without me noticing, but it seemed pretty sudden...
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? It hasn't, he's as happy as ever. :) Or as angry as ever, I suppose, he flares at me when I come near lol.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? I noticed when I first got him, but didn't think anything of it. I noticed that it was definitely fin rot yesterday.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I did an 80% water change and cleaned some of the gravel. Yesterday, as soon as I noticed I added one teaspoon of aquarium salt... today after the water change, I added another teaspoon (I dissolved it in a small container of water first before adding it).
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Not that I know of.
How old is your fish (approximately)? I'm not sure. I purchased him two weeks ago from a pet store.

So, this is definitely fin rot, right? I've never had a fish with fin rot before, so I've never treated it before. I can provide (bad quality xD) pictures if needed.

Is the aquarium salt treatment the way to go? Anything else I can do? Will his fins grow back? How long should I treat him for? Thanks. :)
Tangeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 05:44 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Yes, post the pics...try to get as clear a shot of the affect areas that you can...and you are sure he is not tail biting......when fins go missing that fast often they are biting......

How strong is the filter and what kind of substrate and decorations in the tank.....

Better treatment would be to- QT in a small container floating in the heated tank to maintain 76-77F and start aquarium salt 1tsp/gal, tannins (either IAL or dried oak leaf) along with 100% daily water changes for 10 days....

Nutrition-live foods are best, next frozen then quality pellets high protein

Pre-mix the treatment water in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water-add the salt 1tsp/gal, tannins and use this water for the 100% daily water changes....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 06:07 PM   #3 
Tangeh

Thank you for your reply. :) I will post pictures as soon as I'm done my economics homework... (ehehe -_-)

I've never seen him tailbiting before, plus even if he was I'm not sure how he would have bitten those tiny holes in his caudal and anal fins.

He only has a 1.5 gal tank... I have a half litre container that I can put in the tank. Or, I could try to put him and the heater in a half gallon bowl that I have? (it's a 10W heater) Just wondering, why is it better to put him in quarantine if he has the tank to himself? Is it to do with the filter or..?

What are tannins? I've never heard of them before. And where would I find such things? Thank you. :)

Oh, and his tank has gravel and three small plastic plants... I've never had problems with any of them.

Last edited by Tangeh; 06-05-2011 at 06:16 PM.
Old 06-05-2011, 06:26 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Tannins are from either Indian almond leaf or dried oak leaf-they contain antibacterial/fungal properties, lower the pH a tiny bit and help ease stress.

The reason it is best to QT in a clear, bare bottom container is to monitor fecal matter and to observe the fish-a controlled environment...the small container also makes the needed 100% water changes easier so you can provide proper dosage of salts if used....I don't recommend OTC medication-but if they are used most of these products will destroy the beneficial bacteria, kill some plants and inverts and even aquarium salt can have a negative effect on some aquatic plants.

Usually you will not see the fish bite its tail...but with 50% gone in a short period of time that would be a common cause...especially if he is asymptomatic an acting his normal self.....

Holes in fins can be genetic related, injury related, pH/KH/GH related, strong filtration, excessive flaring..... to name a few reasons....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 07:49 PM   #5 
Tangeh

Ahh okay. I'll keep an eye out for those.

I went to take pictures and it turns out the camera battery is dead... it's charging now, I'll have pictures up soon...

And okay... yes, I forgot to say, the filtration in his tank is very gentle. Almost too gentle, the thing stops working when the smallest amount of algae gets on it.

Thank you for your help! :)
Old 06-05-2011, 10:36 PM   #6 
Tangeh

Here are some pictures... My family actually got a new camera recently, and it takes much nicer pictures of Cortez. :D
TWO WEEKS AGO:
http://i54.tinypic.com/539wn8.jpg
http://i51.tinypic.com/15rgygk.jpg
http://i56.tinypic.com/mube2r.jpg
http://i56.tinypic.com/yyyrd.jpg

I apologize that the above photos aren't of the best quality... but you can see the difference compared to the following photos:

TODAY:
http://i51.tinypic.com/2r77wk3.jpg
http://i51.tinypic.com/2e1afdl.jpg
http://i53.tinypic.com/2ymhfyx.jpg
http://i56.tinypic.com/2e1soea.jpg

Last edited by Tangeh; 06-05-2011 at 10:37 PM. Reason: typo