Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-06-2011, 12:30 AM   #1 
Xbxiii

Walmart Rescue !!!

So i went grocery shopping tonight, with no intentions of buying a fish, well on my way to get dog food i walk by the fish section and i see these betta fish in these small cups with hardly any water. well after looking for a few minutes i found 1 i liked that didnt look like it was about to die and brought it home.. ive been reading all night on the proper care of these guys. any tips would be nice , i own lizards and snakes , but this is my 1st fish . anyways here are 3 pics i took with my cell .. i got him out of the cup and into a 1/2 gallon glass bowl we had, i purchased the drops and food at walmart.. i will be going to a pet store in a few days for a tank,gravel and plants( any suggestions would be great).. anyways here he is !!!!

Xbxiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 01:32 AM   #2 
YoshesMom

wow he is pretty.. Deff try to get atleast a 2 gallon tank for your new buddy and your doing good so far with the food and water cond. maybe pick up some freeze dried blood worms as a treat
YoshesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 09:16 AM   #3 
Impolite

Cute!
Impolite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 09:24 AM   #4 
Littlebittyfish

He is really pretty! I would get a heater for him. Bettas are tropical fish and love warm water.Tank size is up to you...But the bigger the better !
I think atleast 2 gallons is good...You might also want to get a pellet food..flakes can sometimes be messy and sink before the betta can eat it all. Bettas love live plants, But if you go with fake plants make sure they are silk or soft so that betta doesn't snag his fins on them.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 08:38 PM   #5 
Silverfang

Just a word of caution with that open jar, bettas can jump. Saran wrap with some holes poked into it is a great, and cheap way to keep him from making an escape.
For all the horror stories I've heard of walmart, he looks pretty nice.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 08:44 PM   #6 
Tikibirds

I agree. I lost one last week that jumped out.
You can also use those plastic storage containers - use an xacto knife to poke out holes in the lid.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 08:45 PM   #7 
Arashi Takamine

He's gorgeous a lovely crowntail. I'm glad you saved him. Definietly try to go for at least two gallons the Minibows are great tanks you just need to sponge or pantyhose baffle the filters. A heater is a definietly a must as betta's are cold blooded. So far with the conditioner and food your doing great.

Hope to see more pics of him. (BTW use panty hose when selecting plants. If it tears it's not good for your buddy.)
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 08:52 AM   #8 
newf

Very pretty! Congrats on your new fish
newf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 08:59 AM   #9 
PhilipPhish

Very pretty! I love his finnage!

Walmart is not a very good place for fish. They aren't a pet store and know almost nothing about their fish...
PhilipPhish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 12:19 AM   #10 
Xbxiii

ya philip i had no intentions of buying a fish, it just sorta happened, lol .. anyways.. i will be getting my tank setup this weekend. i see people talking about adding salt to there water, what type of salt and how much ? also what medicines should i buy( so i have it ready) in case he does get sick later on down the road. he will be going into a 2 gallon with filter,heater,silk plants.. thanks
Xbxiii is offline   Reply With Quote