Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-03-2011, 08:35 PM   #1 
redbettagirl

Unhappy Ghost Shrimp Fail!

I recently introduced my new crowntail (Jean-Luc Picard) to his tank, which housed a large and lonely ghost shrimp by the name of Sir Francis Drake. At first, they were curious about each other. Jean-Luc would occasionally "nose" Drake, who would dart across the tank. Other than that, they left each other alone. It turns out that Jean-Luc was simply biding his time. After a few days, Drake went into hiding so that he could molt. The moment Drake shed his carapace, Jean-Luc promptly found and decapitated him, leaving the corpse and detached head for all to see. I knew there was a possibility that this would happen, and so didn't allow myself to become too attached to Drake. However, my husband really loved the little shrimp, and so Jean-Luc is now "[my] fish." Alas, that's the last time Jean-Luc gets a companion shrimp.
redbettagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 01:01 AM   #2 
HestonFan23

Be glad your Betta actually ate the shrimp. I have a shrimp in my tank with Steve. Steve looks at him and enjoys going into his hiding places to stare at him. I did see Steve bite the shrimp once when it swam by him. I almost wonder if Steve is passive aggressive.
HestonFan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 12:18 PM   #3 
redbettagirl

I hope that Steve isn't simply waiting for the shrimp to molt too!
Old 06-06-2011, 06:19 PM   #4 
alidawn15

Do you have plants for the shrimp to hide in?
alidawn15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 06:26 PM   #5 
riese98

the betta ate the shrimp?
riese98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 06:36 PM   #6 
bahamut285

This happened to me as well, I have LOADS of plants in my tank, yet Lin decapitated "Bubblebutt" in under 20 minutes. No joke I acclimated Bubblebutt, went to prepare some food, came back and he became food :(
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 08:45 PM   #7 
redbettagirl

Ya... I had both plants, and a little cave for the shrimp to hide in. It didn't help! And no, Jean-Luc Picard did not eat the shrimp. He just decapitated him.
Old 06-07-2011, 01:29 PM   #8 
riese98

oh my goodness.
riese98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 01:51 PM   #9 
SillyCone

I have 2 amano shrimps for like 2 weeks now, they are with my females in which they were actually also together in my LFS tank... xD

I didn't transport them together because it's stressful for them, but they live nicely together, I think it's because 1 of my females is kinda retarded (no joke) and the other one loves playing the "statue" game cus she's waaaay calm (she swims like a true lady, LOL!), so they never bothered to try to take a small bite at them with their tiny mouths :P

My male first time he saw them though (from his tank) he instantly flared at... Bet he would chomp them up as well =X
SillyCone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 08:46 PM   #10 
Bettalover22

I had a pretty big shrimp with my male & female crowntail. They left it alone for a few days but it quickly became lunch! I didn't think they would mess with it cuz it was pretty big.
Bettalover22 is offline   Reply With Quote