Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-06-2011, 10:31 PM   #11 
bettafish15

NO FEMALES AND MALES IN THE SAME TANK. They WILL kill each other. No. Just no.

To keep your bioload at a decent level, I would return the tetras and platies to get a couple more ottos, since you already have a betta in there with a snail. But that's me. :P
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 12:25 AM   #12 
turtle10

I would actually NOT get the ottos. They are very sensitive and most likely will not survive the cycling. Also, since it is a new tank, there will be no algae for them to feed on and it can get VERY difficult trying to get them to eat wafers sometimes. I would just stick to one betta, cycle it, then slowly add more fish after doing research.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 10:17 PM   #13 
KayDowson

got a chinese algae eater in my tank... they dont get too big mybe 5 inches, but if there isnt enough food for them they WILL attack your fish.
KayDowson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 10:21 PM   #14 
KayDowson

The Chinese algae eater, Gyrinocheilus aymonieri, is sometimes kept in aquaria to control algae. It can range up to 11 inches (28 cm) in length. It has a reputation for becoming increasingly jealous of its territory as it matures, and also can be aggressive to fish, especially slow, flat-bodied fish. In the home aquarium, the algae eater makes a poor tank mate. It is very aggressive and boisterous; they often attack other fish and rip off scales, causing infection. It rarely swims to the surface as it likes to be on the bottom of the tank. It is very hardy and can survive in semi-dirty water, plus a wide range of temperatures, 60 - 90F (16 - 32C), allowing it to be sometimes kept in unheated aquariums indoors. Similar to the Pleco, Chinese algae eaters tend to hide in caves when they are not feeding. If a cave is not available for them to hide in, they will attempt to make one themselves by digging under large rocks or against the walls of the aquarium.
Though in the wild they feed exclusively on algae, in the aquarium there is some controversy on the effectiveness of the algae eater. While they are young, they may be effective. But as they grow, they may develop more of a taste for processed foods and consume those instead. Some aquarists also report large specimens attacking and consuming smaller fish, such as Neon Tetras.[citation needed]
The two other Gyrinocheilus species, the spotted algae eater and the Borneo algae eater, are rarely seen in the aquarium trade.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:34 PM   #15 
turtle10

Chinese algae eaters are not a good fish to have near bettas.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 10:41 AM   #16 
Wyvern

CAE is just bad to have in general. Someone gave me one as a present thinking its a peaceful fish. He was with my goldies less than 30mins before I removed him and returned him to the petstore. He sucked off some of their scales as well as damaged their fins. After that NEVER again.
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 02:37 PM   #17 
KayDowson

they arent too bad... i have on in my tank ive had his since he was this big ----- and now hes this big-------------------------------- hes not horrible, jus gotta make sure he has lots of places to hide (during the day... they do theyre business at night) and plenty to eat and a big enough tank for them to grow into and not be too crowded... mine does fine 99% time...