Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-09-2008, 07:32 PM   #1 
s72450

Healing Fin Damage

I bought four female bettas some time ago and housed them together in a small tank, they did fine and managed to stay away from one another until suddenly one of them got beat up badly. She's missing a chuck of her tail and she mainly stays at the bottom of the tank or hides. I moved her to a small tank of her own to try and promote healing. I have Betafix that I've been using on her.

I just want to do what's right, but while she is alive, she cannot really swim much and I just feel so bad. Is this something she can recover from or would the best thing for her be to just put her out?

What should I be doing if this is something she can recover from, she's been like this for nearly a month.
s72450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 07:46 PM   #2 
SolaceTiger

Aww, hope you find an answer. Sounds nasty though.
SolaceTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 09:31 PM   #3 
Kim

Sorry, gotta be brief.

Fins will regrow as long as she can still breathe and eat. I would not use bettafix as it can be dangerous to bettas. I would instead treat with a little aquarium salt and clean water. What kind of setup was she in and what is she in now?
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 02:33 PM   #4 
Nauriel

Aww, I'm sorry to hear that. I had a male and a female betta in a ten gallon, sepateded by a divider. After cleaning it one day I didn't put it back properly and the male got onto the female's side. She beat him up pretty badly for that. I found that a product called "Stress Coat" works really well.

Here's what it looks like: http://pet.imageg.net/graphics/produ...757069t400.jpg

They sell smaller bottles if you don't want to buy that much.

Also, you can use aquarium salt. It will help the your betta heal quicker and it actually hinders bacteria that could infect your betta.

Just be patient. It takes a while for thier fins to grow back. My betta's fins haven't completely grown back yet, and its been a couple months (she really got him bad).

Good luck. I hope she gets better soon.
Nauriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 02:08 AM   #5 
iamntbatman

You might also want to lower the water level to make surfacing for air easier.
iamntbatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 08:26 PM   #6 
s72450

Right now I have her in a very small tank since she can't move around very much. I have salt and will add some tonight and also lower the water level somewhat, I honestly didn't think about that. Thanks for the tips.

Kim, she was originally in a five gallon tank.
s72450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 06:32 PM   #7 
Arlie

to Kim
I think my new male Betta may have early stage fin rot. I read on here somewhere that plain table salt can be used in place of Aquarium salt BUT how much? I have him in a 2.5gal bow front aquarium. It has only been set up for about a week so can't be dirty water. I did a 25% treated water change today just in case. What else should I get to treat the fin rot? There are so many suggestions on the board here it is over whelming to a newbie like me.
Arlie
Help please.
Arlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 03:02 PM   #8 
Arlie

Hi all

HELP please, My male Betta was doing and looking just fine on Wed. I had made a water change and everything tested very good. Yesterday, Thurs. I looked at him in the morning and sections of his tail, top fin and bottom edge of his bottom fin, (sorry I dont recall the tech. names) are shredding, long thin strips and points sticking out with no fin material between them. I did another water test and it was fine, only the pH has been staying around 7.5 but I thought that was ok.
I don't know if he torn his fins on the plant in his tank, or what??? The plant is a low, narrow one, about 3" long and 2" high. The leaves on it are made of silk but the base and short stems are plastic. Could he be swimming between the base stems and tearing his fins? This AM, Friday, his fins look worse.
What should I do????

Arlie
Old 11-28-2008, 05:07 PM   #9 
SolaceTiger

If that's the case, you should probably take the plants out.
SolaceTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 05:58 PM   #10 
Arlie

Hi Solace Tier
I see you are from Minn. so is my hubby. He was born in Iona, Minn.
Could there be anything else that coule reduce my Betta's fins to shreds in one day?
I've added more gravel around the plant so he cant swim between the stems any longer. The leaves are a soft material, like silk , so don't think they are the problem.

Arlie