Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-06-2011, 08:49 AM   #1 
Impolite

Betta acting odd in 10 gallon

Since my male betta, NeON, died, I hadn't put anything in the tnak that he had been in. I felt like it was the "tank of death" and it scared me. I finally gutted the courage to clean all the rocks really good, clean off the sides, wash the plants and all, then put my female in there instead of the little 2 gallon she was in. I just felt bad for her. I keep my room reasonably hot, 78 usually, so none of my tanks really need heaters. I waited a good amount of time after filling and de-chlorinating to add her. The filter was running smoothly and the water was calm. I released her into the 10 gallon, and she just wasnt acting like herself.
NeON, so far, has been the only one to not act odd. I had a tiger barb, whos bud got eaten, so I stuck him in there, he died...
thus, why I call it my tank of death..

Anyways, anything I can do to make them less odd?
She just hid behind the filter, cowering. Theres nothing scary. I even moved the plant that was in her tank into there. All the temp was consistant...

Anything?
I was really wanting to have a girl betta tank!
Impolite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 09:41 AM   #2 
HayrideHaunter

she might just be overwhelmed? I'm no expert...just putting it out there...how long as she been in it? Perhaps its just a huge change and a different environment...maybe put her old decor in the ten gal or something...try to make her less nervous...?
HayrideHaunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 10:10 AM   #3 
52cherish

If she is just in there for a day or two she might be overwhelmed. She needs to get used to all the space. Do you have just one plant or more hiding spaces?
I just had to switch one of our males from a 2.5 Gal to a 10 Gal tank and he was hiding the first 48 hours... didn't even come out for his feedings. He is now back to his normal self and enjoys the space.
52cherish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 11:17 AM   #4 
Sakura8

Yeah, I agree with everyone. I have my female in a 2.5g on my desk and my male in a 10g nearby on a dresser and when I look at the two tanks, I can really see the difference. So I think your little girl is just overwhelmed at the size of her new digs. If you scrubbed the tank well and you didn't use soap to clean it, then the tank should be fine for occupation. Put a few hiding places, like clean PVC pipe or a fake rock cave for her. Once she realizes she CAN hide, she won't want to.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 08:28 PM   #5 
gbose

Is your new tank cycled? If not, it could kill her. If you're not sure, read up on 'nitrogen cycle'.

Good luck!

GB
gbose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 11:59 AM   #6 
Impolite

thanks. I guess Ill just have to try to keep her in there longer! I'm just so scared haha. I'm a wimp when it comes to my fish.
Impolite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 08:02 PM   #7 
Sakura8

Don't worry, we all are 'cause our bettas are like family. Just keep an eye on her and keep up with the water changes.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta, female, gallon, girl, teng