Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-14-2011, 11:44 AM   #21 
cableguy69846

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettawolf19 View Post
First may I say you guys are my heroes right now. :) and second I can't wait to see how this turns out. I'm doing a simular thing as well cept using sand instead of gravel for my Cories. should look amazing when and if I ever get it done (working on getting the lighting right now..Do you need a hood for it? I have a 10 gal right now)
Thank you. I use glass tops for my tanks to keep the humidity in the room to a minimum and to keep the cats out. You don't have to have a hood, as long as the light fixture has some type of splash protection over the bulbs and electrical components. I will probably get a piece of plexiglass cut to fit the top of the tank, but not sure yet. Do you have a thread on your tank at the moment?
cableguy69846 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 11:46 AM   #22 
cableguy69846

Got a plant list, here it is.

Hygrophila difformis - Water Wisteria - Background
Glossostigma elatinoides - Glosso - Carpet
Taxiphyllum barbieri - Java Moss

Let me know what you think. And thank you to OldFishLady for helping me come up with this list.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:56 AM   #23 
Bettawolf19

Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy69846 View Post
Thank you. I use glass tops for my tanks to keep the humidity in the room to a minimum and to keep the cats out. You don't have to have a hood, as long as the light fixture has some type of splash protection over the bulbs and electrical components. I will probably get a piece of plexiglass cut to fit the top of the tank, but not sure yet. Do you have a thread on your tank at the moment?
Luckily I don't ahve to worry about cats much until Aug when i babysit my sisters cat for a week. Any idea where's a good place to get pexiglass and get it cut?

Yep here's my link a couple days old but still good :) and I already bleached and disinfected my tank so no worries on that.. http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=72522
Bettawolf19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 12:00 PM   #24 
Oldfishlady

Your going to need more stem plants to start and then you can remove some once the other plants start to grow and also floating plants.....with soil based tanks it is important to keep the water safe for the livestock and those plants may not do that and the tank could crash.....

Make sure you start out with the right light and photoperiod to get best plant growth.......proper lights, plant number and species are the driving force behind soil based tanks success and failure.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 12:01 PM   #25 
cableguy69846

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettawolf19 View Post
Luckily I don't ahve to worry about cats much until Aug when i babysit my sisters cat for a week. Any idea where's a good place to get pexiglass and get it cut?

Yep here's my link a couple days old but still good :) and I already bleached and disinfected my tank so no worries on that.. http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=72522
Thanks for the link. I subscribed. As far as the Plexiglass, I would say Home Depot or Lowe's. I have gotten stuff cut at Home Depot before. You could always just cut it yourself too.
Old 06-14-2011, 12:07 PM   #26 
Oldfishlady

You can also get safety caps for the tube ends and have open tops....I don't use them for my lights but I also don't use filtration on most of my tanks and the ones I do have filtration the splashing has never cause any problems with my lights......and the cats have never been a problem for my tank either.....the tanks on the lower rack..the cats drink from...lol....
Old 06-14-2011, 12:09 PM   #27 
cableguy69846

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
You can also get safety caps for the tube ends and have open tops....I don't use them for my lights but I also don't use filtration on most of my tanks and the ones I do have filtration the splashing has never cause any problems with my lights......and the cats have never been a problem for my tank either.....the tanks on the lower rack..the cats drink from...lol....
Lol. I wish my cats were that well behaved. They try to rearrange my tanks for me, and they like to go fishing.
Old 06-14-2011, 12:29 PM   #28 
Oldfishlady

My tanks are too big for them to move around-but I do have about 18 1gal setup...lol....and I have had a cat fall in a few of my tanks from time to time...kinda funny...except they take the lights in with them....so far it has never damaged the lights or tripped the brakerbox.....and I have 29 cats...lol....I live on a cattle ranch and have big hay barns...lol.....

Its funny watching the cats lap the water and about 30-40 juvies go after their tongue and paws sticking in the water...lol...I think they drop cat food that is stuck on their mouth in the tank and feed them sometimes...lol.....because when they see the cats coming to the tank they all swim over and gather under them...laffs.....
Old 06-14-2011, 12:37 PM   #29 
cableguy69846

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
My tanks are too big for them to move around-but I do have about 18 1gal setup...lol....and I have had a cat fall in a few of my tanks from time to time...kinda funny...except they take the lights in with them....so far it has never damaged the lights or tripped the brakerbox.....and I have 29 cats...lol....I live on a cattle ranch and have big hay barns...lol.....

Its funny watching the cats lap the water and about 30-40 juvies go after their tongue and paws sticking in the water...lol...I think they drop cat food that is stuck on their mouth in the tank and feed them sometimes...lol.....because when they see the cats coming to the tank they all swim over and gather under them...laffs.....
Lol, that is too funny. I am glad none of them have gotten hurt with the lights and all that though.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:37 PM   #30 
cableguy69846

Got the potting soil in with the gravel cap. Now I just need a filter and plants.