Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-15-2011, 08:13 PM   #31 
cableguy69846

Ok, so got the water in it today, and I am going next week as soon as I get paid to find some plants and get the filter for this tank. It is going to be a Hagen Elite Mini, and I think I changed things up on the plants a little bit. Here is my revised, will added-to, list:

Hygropholia difformis - Water Wisteria
Hygropholia polysperma - Dwarf Hygropholia (?)
Glossostigma elatinoides - Glsso
Vesicularia dubayana - Java Moss
Ceratopteris thaliictroides - Water Sprite (?)

The ones with the ? I am still undecided on. Any feedback would be great.
cableguy69846 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 10:33 PM   #32 
cableguy69846

Ok. An update. The tank has been empty for a while as I did not like the dirt I had in it. I went and got some different stuff today.

Want to know if this will work or if I need to get something different.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:28 AM   #33 
Oldfishlady

I wouldn't use that in the aquarium due to the added ferts......you could end up with an algae farm or even green water.....look for potting soil that is organic without any type of additives or top soil is good too....be sure and sift it first to get any big chunks of debris out before use....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 10:23 PM   #34 
cableguy69846

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
I wouldn't use that in the aquarium due to the added ferts......you could end up with an algae farm or even green water.....look for potting soil that is organic without any type of additives or top soil is good too....be sure and sift it first to get any big chunks of debris out before use....
Got ya. I am going to put some of this in water and see what it does to parameters for a few days. But I am for sure going to go get some regular top soil.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:05 PM   #35 
cableguy69846

So. After a long absence, I finally got some stuff to get this tank back up and running (sorta). I got some different dirt and a new bulb the is a 15watt 6500K spiral fluorescent. I like the look of the light much better. The other one was not right and I think this one will make plants explode. This tank was empty for far too long, but not anymore.

Same soil as in my emersed set-up.

Just dirt.

Here it is in all its glory. Only a little bit of water at the moment. I am going to rinse it later, but I am letting the dirt soak up some of the water first to make sure it is good and water logged before I add plants and things. Hopefully that will happen tomorrow and sat. Progress, finally!:)
Old 09-16-2011, 10:06 AM   #36 
cableguy69846

Ok, first I want to say, thanks to Bahugo for hookin me up the other day. He gave me tons of plants for a good deal. That being said, here is what I got yesterday.

$25 worth of plants from Golden Aquarium.

$40 worth of plants from Bahugo.

Does anyone see the problem here, lol.

I got some HC, moneywort, 2 types of crypts, and some red stem plant I already forgot the name of. That was all from Golden Aquarium.

I got Java Moss, Flame Moss, Guppy Grass, Glosso, and a bunch of stem plants from Bahugo.

Now that my goodie list is up. On to the good stuff.
Old 09-16-2011, 10:18 AM   #37 
cableguy69846

OK. Finally got the soil, plants, gravel, and water in this thing. I threw some moneywort, water sprite, and some other stem plant in here. I still have moss to add but I need some rocks or something to tie it to first, which, I may have. But on to the pics.

The water is a bit cloudy and I still need a filter. But I Am happy with it so far. Hopefully the filter will get ordered today, and then I will be in good shape.
Old 09-16-2011, 12:51 PM   #38 
Oldfishlady

I would start making some water changes to get the water clear-this can effect light penetration.....you need a lot more stem plants too before you add any livestock......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 12:58 PM   #39 
cableguy69846

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
I would start making some water changes to get the water clear-this can effect light penetration.....you need a lot more stem plants too before you add any livestock......
Yeah, I am gonna do one in a little bit and hopefully get some more plants this week. I have some moss I plan on adding later today too. Just need to break a rock to attach it to. And thanks for the help, OFL. Always good to see your comments on my threads. I appreciate the knowledge sharing.
Old 09-17-2011, 11:09 PM   #40 
cableguy69846

Ok. Added some moss today, but still no filter. DOH! Hopefully in a week or so I will have one. The water cleared a little bit too, but going to start more water changes tomorrow. Also going to take a stem plant out of my emersed setup and put it in this tank tomorrow. As it is now.

I have Flame Moss and Java moss in there. I had a rather large lava rock that was from my 2.5 that I smacked with a hammer a couple of times and there are the fragments. Sorry about the blue thread, didn't have any green. But I am sure it will still work.