Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-08-2011, 11:26 AM   #11 
PitGurl

Your bettas do ok in those low temps?

Do you have to have rainwater for mosquitos? Cuz I've had a 5 gallon bucket outside for a couple months and nothing. I've even tried moving it around the yard. I'm in the south so they should be everywhere!
PitGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 05:59 PM   #12 
MrVampire181

Ok need help quick! It's gonna be 48F tonight...will they be ok?

Anyway...nice big nest in the spawn tub...the female looks good and ready. And it's raining! Should spawn soon hopefully. I just hope the temps aren't too extreme.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 06:44 PM   #13 
Oldfishlady

Mine have not had any problems with short term low temp...not to say yours will not.....mine adapted slowly to these temp changes and I used deeper water in the 12-15+ inch range and usually start with over 80F before the slow temp drop and I had it drop in the mid 40'sF range without any problems with the adults/fry/eggs........to be on the safe side....you may want to bring them in...especially since you are getting rain and they haven't been outside for that long-the slow change in air temp that lowers the water temp is one thing- but the faster water temp change with the rain is another....and not to sound cruel.....but...... you might think about leaving a Betta outside to experiment and see how much they can tolerate but cover the container to limit the amount of cooler rain and remember rain is usually pretty soft with a much lower pH (unless its polluted) so you will also have hardness and pH changes with the rainwater...some don't tolerate this change well especially of it is too fast....I start mine in rain water outside so I can do a slow acclimation to it from my harder well water in the house......

Might be safer to bring them in......collect that rainwater and get them acclimated to it so later in the summer it won't be a problem for them.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 08:00 PM   #14 
MrVampire181

Rain wasn't too bad. It wasn't really much of a rain at all. I think they'll be ok. I'll moniter them tonight to be sure. I have some young bettas and guppies in the growout tub that did fine last night.

I'm not sure about rain water...I live in the largest suburb of Denver so I don't know if my water will be polluted.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:07 PM   #15 
RayneForhest

So... you just allow it to get that cold at night without any supplemental heating?
(No judgment, just curious)
RayneForhest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 06:30 PM   #16 
MrVampire181

Yup they did fine too. Even the guppy fry did great. Temps should be back to normal by tomorrow.
Old 06-10-2011, 12:20 AM   #17 
RayneForhest

Why are there cups floating in larger containers?
RayneForhest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 03:27 PM   #18 
MrVampire181

That was just acclimation from indoors to outdoors. They live in the larger jars.
Old 06-12-2011, 03:46 PM   #19 
Sweeda88

So cool! I can't wait to see the progress. =)
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 07:45 PM   #20 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

Squirrel control: mothballs. They hate mothballs. Just keep the moth balls away for the tanks, because they are poison.
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote