Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-13-2011, 03:02 PM   #21 
MrVampire181

Actually no problems with squirrels (maybe because they're all dead squished on the roads all over town....yikes I mean seriously people do you just go out of your way to hit a squirrel??).

I just bought a yellow guppy trio yesterday that are living with a black female in a gallon jar for QT and until I can get them their own tank...everybody is doin good.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 05:00 PM   #22 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

Mr. V,

Okay... I gotta ask...

I know in Thailand outdoor betta farms are 'how its done"... but the
temperatures are warm and consistant.

It sounds as though you bettas are enduring 40F temperatures swings on a constant basis. So please explain to me... and I know this sounds terrible...
how your fish are not getting ill/dying from all the stress?
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 09:46 AM   #23 
Oldfishlady

Bettas are a lot tougher than they are given credit for.........as long as the Betta is healthy to start....in my outdoor setups the temps can be extreme-both high and low....when the temp changes are gradual the Betta will adjust....and even when I have sudden changes in temp like when it rains.....mine don't have any problems...adults, fry or eggs.....and I am sure MrV is finding this out as well with his outdoor setup....you still have to monitor and watch the fish that doesn't change.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 12:13 PM   #24 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Here Fishy Fishy Fishy View Post
Mr. V,

Okay... I gotta ask...

I know in Thailand outdoor betta farms are 'how its done"... but the
temperatures are warm and consistant.

It sounds as though you bettas are enduring 40F temperatures swings on a constant basis. So please explain to me... and I know this sounds terrible...
how your fish are not getting ill/dying from all the stress?
I double OFL, Temp swings are tolerable as long as it's fairly gradual. Bettas usually adjust by submerging deeper. It's long term low temp that usually kills them. And locally bred betta in such environment will be more adaptive compared to newly bought from different environment.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 04:15 PM   #25 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

Thank you for the information. :)

I had read somewhere that if betta fry are exposed to temperture changes, they are more tolerant of temperture changes in the future... and the opposite is true if they are kept at constant tempertures.

Now this is starting to make sense to me...

If you are breeding indoors, is it then adviseable to simulate temperture changes to make the fry hardier?
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 09:48 AM   #26 
indjo
TFK Moderator

I wouldn't say advisable because unnatural temp fluctuations may kill young fry. But you can try altering room temp or turning off the heater on 4 week olds.

The only time I tampered with temp was to find out if it affected sex outcomes of fry. You see, it's believed that female bettas will produce less males as you spawn her more. Many local breeders only spawn one female 3 times before retiring her. And my experiments proved that high temp (29-30C) tends to produce more males. So now I would spawn my females as often as I need to - hoping to get 50% of each sex.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 06:59 PM   #27 
Dragonlady

I wish you the best of luck with your outdoor setup. This is something I have never tried, and I hope it works out very well for you! Please share the results of this after it is time to bring them back inside.
Dragonlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 10:53 PM   #28 
cajunamy
Banned

MrV you are inspiring me to take mine outside. I've been looking into building an enclosure on my back deck, pretty much a closed in porch. Will cost me about $150 in supplies, which I don't think is too bad. I plan on having some tarps on the sides that I can roll up or down, so if there is rain I can pull them down if it gets too hard.
cajunamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 09:31 PM   #29 
MrVampire181

They do fine and actually are doing better than I thought....I've actually noticed a growth spurt in the guppy fry.

On a sad note a sudden bacterial infection killed my new guppies....it's good they weren't with anyone else. But everyone else is doin good =)
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 04:43 PM   #30 
dramaqueen
Banned

Yes, unfortunately some people do seem to go out of their way to hit squirrels, cats, dogs or whatever.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote