Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-06-2011, 09:08 PM   #1 
LeroyTheBetta

Yippee! Molly Fry!!

Came home from work to notice that one of my female mollies, Pearl, was quite noticeably skinnier! I had been expecting fry for the last few weeks. I quickly turned off the filter and put some mesh over the intake, then checked inside the filter but didn't notice any unfortunate fry that may have been sucked up. Phew! I quickly fed the tank to make molly fry snacks less appealing! Crushed up a couple flakes very fine for them.

I'm not sure how many are there, not LOTS, I'd guess maybe about 10 so far.... I think she at least has a few more to go. I can see 5... and not sure how many are hiding up in the tangle of fine mayaca plant at the top. I intentionally left if grow to a bit of a mess for them to hide in. Boy, are they TINY, but actually not as small as I expected.

Hopefully, they'll be healthy and do ok. Very cool! First baby fishies for me! I'm a grandma.... sorta! I took a few photos and will post one, if it's clear, when I can later.
LeroyTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 09:31 PM   #2 
kathstew

That is so awesome! Congrats! Seeing all those little babies must be amazing.
I can't wait to see the pictures.

My sister's platies are due to have babies soon, so I can't wait to see that happen. I have dibs on a few of them.

Are you keeping the fry, or are you going to sell them/give them away?
kathstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 11:21 PM   #3 
LeroyTheBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathstew View Post
That is so awesome! Congrats! Seeing all those little babies must be amazing.
I can't wait to see the pictures.

My sister's platies are due to have babies soon, so I can't wait to see that happen. I have dibs on a few of them.

Are you keeping the fry, or are you going to sell them/give them away?
Thanks, Kath! So far, there are 11 for sure, and maybe a couple still hiding.

After the fry grow a bit, it depends on how many there are.... with mollies the numbers will probably add up fairly quickly, no doubt. I'll probably give most of them to one of my 2 lfs's, probably get a little store credit in return. I've got a spare 10 gallon that, again depending on how many there are, I may end up using as a "grow out tank" (lol.... I think that's what those in the 'business' call it). Don't want to overcrowd my community tank with little'ns.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:47 PM   #4 
LeroyTheBetta

Baby pictures! :)

A few of the new babies out for a stroll:

The white plastic containers (about 3"X 5") are small baskets and are floating in the tank. Just a safe place for them and I have a couple sprigs of plants in there and also put a bit of food in there for them.

Updated count (that I can see): 12
Old 06-07-2011, 08:45 AM   #5 
kathstew

Awww! They are adorable! I love seeing pics of baby fish.
Congrats again!
I hope the store takes them for you.
Old 06-07-2011, 03:09 PM   #6 
LeroyTheBetta

Quote:
Awww! They are adorable! I love seeing pics of baby fish.
Congrats again!
I hope the store takes them for you.
:)

I'm fairly sure the store will still take them.... Months ago when I first got my mollies (from them) they said I could bring in the mollies. But, they told me a month or so ago that they were selling the shop sometime (sounded soon). So, if that happens, maybe the new owners will.

And, can't remember if I updated the total... but last night it was still at 12 that I could see, probably not any more as they all seemed pretty attracted to the little white floating baskets, and they're easy to see in there.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:50 PM   #7 
kathstew

That basket idea is a really good one. I might have to get some for when my sister's platies have babies! 12 little ones, aww. Are you going to keep a few, or sell them all?
Old 06-07-2011, 09:37 PM   #8 
LeroyTheBetta

Quote:
That basket idea is a really good one. I might have to get some for when my sister's platies have babies! 12 little ones, aww. Are you going to keep a few, or sell them all?
Not really sure. I know I SHOULDN"T, but I know I WILL at least keep one.... maybe! If it's anything like my canary babies, I"ll end up keeping them all because I won't be sure that whomever get the babies will provide adequate "stuff" (ie, food, housing, etc.) But 12 fish is a lot.... so really, I'd only keep a couple if I did. Not sure though.

I had 6 baby canaries this past november and I sold 2 to a man with an aviary and about 50 other birds. That was Ok. But then I got worried and thought how will I know whoever buys my other baby canaries that they'll have a big enough cage & take good care of them? So, I decided to keep them all (4 left). So, now I have 7 canaries total along with my other birds, dogs, cat, and fish. :)