Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-06-2011, 10:38 PM   #1 
Garett24

Smile Newbie Question

Ive had my betta for about 2 weeks and he seems happy. He's red, veil tail, room temp, 1 gallon tank. But I was wondering 2 things.

1.) Should I get a bigger tank? He seems happy and his tank is clean. But how should I clean the tank good? I just flush alot of water, clean the sides (not with soap) and use betta conditioner.

2.) Hes so active lol. Hes just like swimmin around like crazy lookin at stuff. Is this normal? I don't think its just me either. He always flares up at my finger.

THanks
Garett24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 10:48 PM   #2 
LolaQuigs

I'd definitely get a heater unless your room temp is consistently very warm-bettas need temperatures in the 76-82 range. 1 gallon is ok as long as you make frequent water changes but if you have the space and means to upgrade I recommend you do, your fish will appreciate more room. General rule is 2.5 gallons and up, but if you get a 5 gallon, you can cycle it, which means you don't have to do as many warder changes. Is your current tank filtered? How often are you doing water changes? His behavior sounds like normal, active betta behavior to me. Keep him healthy by adding a heater, and upgrade his tank if you can. If you can't upgrade right away, make sure you start on top of water changes.
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 10:51 PM   #3 
bettafish15

^ What Lola said. In a 1g, you should be doing 100% every other day to keep him in good health. In a 1g a heater would take up an awful lot of space, and the temp might get too high, so it really would be best if you upgraded to a least a 2.5g. :)
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 08:05 PM   #4 
TheCrysCat

Ditto what others have said, plus he'd have a lot more room to be active in a 2.5 gal.
TheCrysCat is offline   Reply With Quote