Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-05-2011, 07:40 PM   #1 
rhiannon5015

Exclamation amonia levels in tap water

I have tested my tap water and tank water. My tap water runs at .25 on the amonia scale. After treating the water with API Tap Water Conditioner one gallon at a time and doing a 3 gallon change on our 10 gallon tank, the tank tests at .50. It is in on its second day of fish-in cycling. Is this normal? Is it too high. I have a couple of live plants, a filter and a heater set at about 79-80 degrees. Temp very stable.
rhiannon5015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 02:13 AM   #2 
rhiannon5015

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 06-06-2011, 02:19 PM   #3 
rhiannon5015

Hope no one gets mad for the "bump"!
Old 06-06-2011, 05:45 PM   #4 
bahamut285

I suggest changing your conditioner to SeaChem PRIME if it is available. This may be a good experiment to try if SeaChem actually gets rid of ammonia like it says on the bottle...

If push comes to shove, you may have to dilute your tap water with SPRING water (not distilled). Or obtain R/O (Reverse Osmosis) water~
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 08:10 PM   #5 
gbose

Rhiannon,

If your tape water is at 0.25PPM, it's quite unsuitable for fish; can you use bottled water (not distilled water, as Bahamut points out)? Alternatively, you could use something like Amquel or other ammonia remover, but I'm hesitant to recommend a chemical 'fix'.

If you use tap water, even after your tank cycles, you'd be adding water with ammonia in it to your tank. This will be stressful for your fish.

Good luck!

GB
gbose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 08:18 PM   #6 
Tisia

my tap has some ammonia and I use prime, works well for me
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 08:19 PM   #7 
rhiannon5015

Bottled...That could get to be very expensive. I would if I had to. Wouldn't I be having to use 5 gallons a week with a 10 gallon tank?
Old 06-06-2011, 08:20 PM   #8 
rhiannon5015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tisia View Post
my tap has some ammonia and I use prime, works well for me
What does your tap water test at?
Old 06-06-2011, 09:02 PM   #9 
shards72

I have struggled with this same problem for a couple of months. I have a couple of tanks that have been battling ammonia levels. When I tested my tap water it shows around 1.0 ppm with an API drip kit for freshwater. I have tried Nutrafin, Amquel, Aqueon & Prime on it and it continues to read about 1.0 ppm. After spamming several boards about this issue and trying to understand why I was told that these products don't reduce the ammonia in the water, but rather neutralise it ot make it non-toxic to the fish. I have asked several people to see if they get the same results with ammonia in their water and what their readings are afterwards and so far no responses.

I did one test that makes me suspect of the whole thing. I took a bowl of tap water and began dosing it with Prime (supposedly one of the better ones). I dosed it with 0.5 cap fulls at a time. In the end it took two cap fulls (which should treat about 100g of water) to get the ammonia to read zero (from 1.0). While I can't justify (both as a risk to my fish and my wallet) hitting my water 5g changes with several cap fulls of prime at a time I just find it very suspect on what these products are supposed to do, and/or what I am dealing with in my city water.

Hope all the best for you. So far I have just been doing regular water changes (dailies) with hope that my nitrogen cycle will eventually be able to keep up with the water changes which dump 1.0 ppm ammonia in the tank.

s
shards72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 09:16 PM   #10 
Tisia

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiannon5015 View Post
What does your tap water test at?
I think mine's about .25 as well, I'm horrible at trying to compare the colors, lol
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote