Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-07-2011, 01:18 AM   #1 
CyerRyn

Stress Stripes/Finrot/Heat

Now that Summer heat and humidity is establishing itself here and this being my first Summer with any tropical fish.. I'm having some scares around. I'll first answer these questions AND just know I'm double filling it out since the 2 fish I'm having issues with are in different tanks.

Housing
What size is your tank? 10gal 3 split/ 7gal 2split
What temperature is your tank?10gal reads 88F/7gal reads 90F
Does your tank have a filter?Yes/Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?No/No
Is your tank heated?Heaters are turned off
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?Both tanks are divided so they live amongst other Betta's in their own space.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Was feeding them HBH Betta Bites but I lost it and their temp replacement is BettaMin Bites.
How often do you feed your betta fish? 1-2 pellets twice daily

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?10gal-1 week/7gal-1week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? API Stress Coat

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?Will be testing soon now that the tanks should be established.

Ammonia:n/a
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?10gal- Bloo keeps getting stress stripes // 7gal- Brownie seems to be getting this brown/see-through color on the ends of fins.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?10gal-Bloo seems less active but still greets me when he hears me// 7gal-Brownie the other day was laying on the bottom of the tank it looked like he was stuck under the mug so when I moved it I thought he was dead cuz he floated to the top but then he slowly gained back his energy and he's been fine since.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 10gal-Bloo 2 days ago//7gal-Brownie 2 days ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? 10gal-Bloo I got his stripes gone by placing my baby girl next to his tank.. immediately brought back his color but now she's getting eggy so this isnt a permanent fix//7gal- Brownie will be getting AQ salt and QT'ing him soon since I think the browning on the ends of his fins is finrot and I'd like to keep a better eye on him after the mug incident
Does your fish have any history of being ill?No/No
How old is your fish (approximately)?Bloo-owned 2mo/Brownie-owned 1mo.

Im worried about the heat and maybe that this is their reaction to this heat.. idk how to cool down the tanks but I dont think the water is that extreme. My other boys in the tanks appear to be fine with it and are healthy. I think Bloo's stress stripes are from being able to see his neighbors silhouette and the heat probably isn't helping much. The only fix I can think of for him is finding a tank for just him. If there's any ideas on the finrot pls let me know. I'd hate to make a mistake. Hope this wasn't too confusing, just didn't want to make two posts. Thank you.
CyerRyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 02:04 AM   #2 
PewPewPew

As a quick fix to keep my tank usually 2-5'F cooler, I have a fan gently breeze over the tops of the tanks.
I either move the side of the tank a bit to let the heat out and cool in or prop the lids open a little.

It makes the water evaporate faster, so needing to replace that can be a pain, but it works :)

As for the rot, 1tsp/gallon of AQ salt and frequent 100% water changes with a salt redose will put him right!
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 11:43 AM   #3 
Creat

If it gets to hot I float ice bags in the tank but I tend to move my tanks to the coolest part of my house, the basement, and they stay fine. An I agree with PewPewPew about the fin rot :)
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 04:50 AM   #4 
CyerRyn

Here's just an update so I don't have to make a new post:
Brownie I think still has slight fin rot.. but whatever new growth on his tail is turning silver.. maybe its not fin rot just his tail getting longer? I wish I had a picture to show. He's been acting a bit strange though hoping it's nothing serious. Brownie is my dragon HMPK so I know his tail won't grow too big. When I first got him I was told he's 1/2 dragon but all his scales now are silver except the top of his head. I'll get pictures later when the sun is up and can give me better light.

Bloo still gets his stress stripes for apparently no reason. He's very skittish fish.. I love him but I worry about how scared he gets. He gets bloat easily too.. he's my only Walmart fish.
Old 06-19-2011, 11:06 AM   #5 
PewPewPew

The silver sounds like new growth! :) and some fish are just skittish, but thats ok! Consider getting lots of cover in that tank, like plants and caves, to make him feel safe.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 01:01 AM   #6 
CyerRyn

Here's the pictures of Brownie

He's really clamped up in this picture. He doesn't do that all the time.. but lately its been more often. He keeps spazzing out but then he'll settle down and come to the glass.

Tried to get some close shots and for him to open his fins. He wouldn't flare at the mirror.

This next one I *think* its fin rot at the tip of his tail but you can see where the silver is coming in that I was talking about.
Old 06-22-2011, 03:00 AM   #7 
CyerRyn

So no one can tell if that's fin rot or just new tail coming in?
Old 06-28-2011, 05:34 PM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

It looks black around the edges to me, which indicates finrot.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote