Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-07-2011, 01:20 AM   #1 
ghostlilly

Question Do not know what this is please help

MY BOY GILBERT HAS THESE LONG FUZZY WHITE THINGS HANGING OFF THE VERY ENDS OF HIS 2 FINS UNDER HIS CHIN (DON'T KNOW WHAT THEY ARE CALLED)3 DAYS AGO HE HAD ICK BUT I TREATED WITH QUICK CURE AND IT WENT AWAY. THIS MORNING I SEEN THESE THINGS ON HIM CAN ANYONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT THEY ARE AND HOW TO TREAT? I ALSO AM TREATING HIM WITH AQUARIUM SALT AT 1 TEASPOON PER GALLON,AND LIFEGUARD. HE IS NOT ACTING ANY DIFFERENT AND STILL SEEMS HAPPY BLOWING BUBBLES AND ALL. I AM NEW TO KEEPING FISH AND DO NOT HAVE A CAMERA TO TAKE PICS WITH SORRY.
Housing
What size is your tank? 3 GALLON
What temperature is your tank? 79 DEGREES
Does your tank have a filter? NO
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? YES BUT DON'T USE GILBERT HATES IT
Is your tank heated? YES
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? NONE

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? TETRA BETTA MINI PELLETS
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2-3 3 TIMES A DAY

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? 2 TIMES A WEEK
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 1 50% AND 1 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?BETTA SAFE WATER CONDITIONER AND JUNGLE CORRECT PH

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:0
pH:6.6TO 6.8
Hardness:75 SOFT
Alkalinity: 6.8 TO7.2

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?LONG FUZZY WHITEISH THINGS HANGING OFF HIS 2 FINS UNDER CHIN
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? NONE
When did you start noticing the symptoms?THIS MORNING
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?YES 1TEASPOON OF AQUARIUM SALT PER GALLON AND LIFE GUARD
Does your fish have any history of being ill?YES HAD ICK 3 DAYS AGO AND WAS SICK WHEN I GOT HIM BUT TREATED WITH LIFE GUARD AND HE GOT BETTER
How old is your fish (approximately)? DON'T KNOW GOT HIM 2 MONTHS AGO FROM WAL-MART

Last edited by ghostlilly; 06-07-2011 at 01:25 AM.
ghostlilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 01:59 AM   #2 
PewPewPew

Can you get us photos? That will help us out like crazy :)

Based on that, it could be a couple things. Until then, you've done everything right- 1tsp/gal of the AQ salt will help.

Not totally about the fuzz, but try lessening the food to 2-3 pellets a day, 2x a day, and not 3 times :)

Does the fuzz look like what is on the back of this fish? Like theyre fuzzy and string-like? This is a photo of columnaris.
http://www.petfish.net/articles/pix/...olumnaris1.jpg
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 02:11 AM   #3 
ghostlilly

No just 1 long one per fin and it hangs off the very bottom about a inch long AND STRINGY I CLEANED THEM OFF IT WAS PRETTY EASY TO COME OFF MY CAMERA IS BROKE SO SORRY
Old 06-07-2011, 02:18 AM   #4 
Sakura8

Just to be clear, he has those the fins still, just something hanging off? It's not the fins themselves shredding off? Oh, by the way, those fins are called the ventral or pelvic fins.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 02:22 AM   #5 
PewPewPew

Are you sure it isnt part of the fin itself? Many many betta fish have white tips to their ventral fins (the ones under their chins), and some are very long and thin.

Like this, my fish had very prominent white tips:
Name:  2011-03-14 13.49.43.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  28.5 KB
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 02:42 AM   #6 
ghostlilly

No they are not part of his fins i checked i cant post any pics dont have a camera
Old 06-07-2011, 02:44 AM   #7 
Sakura8

You know, I have to agree with Pew. I think those white things are a natural part of his fins. My red Cambodian boy has red ventral fins with white on the tips, too. I'd take a pic but he just started doing his Shermy dance when he saw me which means all I'll get for a while are blurs. Are any other fins showing white? Like his tail or the fin on his back (dorsal)? If they aren't, then that's just part of his fins and he's fine.

(Posted a second too late) No? Then disregard everything I said.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 02:53 AM   #8 
ghostlilly

I am going to try to get a camera from my friend and figure out how to post it not so good with doing things like that but i will try he doesn't seem to like camera either tried before lol fast little bugger. THE ENDS OF HIS TAIL AND VENTRAL FINS ARE KIND OF LUMPY LOOKING AND CLUMPED TOGETHER NO MATTER WHAT I TREAT HIM WITH IT DOESN'T GET BETTER DONT KNOW WHATS WRONG WITH MY POOR GUY! NEVER AGAIN WILL I BUY FROM WAL-MART JUST FELL IN LOVE WITH HIM AND HAD TO TRY TO SAVE HIM!

Last edited by ghostlilly; 06-07-2011 at 02:59 AM.