Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-07-2011, 05:58 AM   #1 
yianyian91

Exclamation Bent Body..Around tail part.. Help!!

My Betta (Plakat) has a bent body.. Around the caudal peduncle part...
What can I do to cure/recover him or make his body straight back?
Please help me out with this.. I am still consider new with Betta fish..
Thanks a lot..

Here are some pictures to help everyone understand my betta's bent body. :-

Last edited by yianyian91; 06-07-2011 at 06:03 AM.
yianyian91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 07:43 AM   #2 
iheartmybettas

Did he come that way? Can you fill out the sticky at the top of this section? It will help us help you!
iheartmybettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:07 AM   #3 
yianyian91

Housing
What size is your tank? 1~1.5 litre
What temperature is your tank? room temperature around 25'c and above. (Malaysia is a tropical country so doens't need heater. But I do put light for him)
Does your tank have a filter? Nope
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Nothing
Is your tank heated? Nope, just light.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? I don't know which category is it.. But not the frozen food and not the worms.
How often do you feed your betta fish? 3 times a day. Usually around 8am before I left for uni.. Lunch time or around 2pm.. Dinner time, around 7pm.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? 1~2 weeks
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50~70%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Er.. Anti~chlorine...?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? Nope. But I think my Betta is living healthy because he is making bubble. What I read from some article, they said that betta making bubble meaning they are building nest for the preparation of the eggs and that also mean he is healthy. So, I think he is healthy and I don't know why his body is bent.
Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Still the same, aggressive and swimming around.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Normal. Still aggressive and swimming around.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 2 days ago.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Sorry, I don't get this question. :(
Does your fish have any history of being ill? I am not sure. I just bought it last week.
How old is your fish (approximately)? Have no idea.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:30 AM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum....

To me that looks like a deformity/bent spine, however, he should make a great pet and live a normal healthy life...just not anything you can do about it....or it could be the caudal peduncle itself protruding and again not a lot you can do but enjoy him....he should still live a normal happy life with proper care

In 1.5 Liter..that is 0.4gal and pretty small...I would look to upgrade to at least 1gal or 3.8 Liters for long term keeping and it will give you more decorating options too......

In his current container I would be making every other day 50% water changes and 1-100% weekly to maintain water quality.......since you live in a tropical area......I agree, you most likely do not need a heater...25C or 77F is perfect water temp...

He is a pretty fella......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:41 AM   #5 
yianyian91

Thanks... I am about to bent his caudal peduncle for him on the next water changing. LoL... I know it's like WTF O.O Haha!! But after you said he is healthy and nothing can be done.. So.... just let it be =/

I thought 1.5 liter is more than enough for one Betta? I used to keep Betta when I was young with my cousin and friends. We just keep him in a bowl or some plastic container which is even smaller and empty... Does Betta really need those plant or rock inside for him or is it just for the sake of decoration/beauty? We never put stuff for Betta last time.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:45 AM   #6 
Sakura8

Yup. As long as it's not affecting his behavior, he'll make a fine pet. It doesn't look like too bad of a deformity either. I once saw a corydoras catfish in a petstore who had such a bent spine he almost made a U shape, the poor thing.

Yianyian, the bigger the tank, the few the water changes you'll have to make. In his current-size tank, you'll have to change the water several times a week but in a larger tank, you'll have to change it maybe twice a week for a 9.4 liter/2.5g tank. I think your betta will thrive if you can possibly upgrade him as OFL suggests.

He has lovely coloring, almost looks blackish green.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:48 AM   #7 
Sakura8

Bettas can live in small cups but they will thrive and be much healthier in a bigger tank. They don't need the gravel on the bottom of the tank but plants and little caves are good for them because they can hide in them when they get scared. He will be much happier in a big tank and because he'll be happier, you will see him swim around more and be more active.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:03 AM   #8 
yianyian91

I see.. Ok.. I will consider about getting a larger tank.. Because I am staying in a hostel so my space is kinda limited :( Oh.. It is recommended I use round one or a square/rectangle one?
And the plants have to be the real plants or fake one?
I am not sure if the real plants will be troublesome or not...Because they might have some bacteria/worms and stuffs..
Here are some pictures of him:-

Old 06-07-2011, 10:04 AM   #9 
yianyian91

Ok... ignore the Mc.D LoL xD
Old 06-07-2011, 10:07 AM   #10 
Sakura8

He's really gorgeous, such beautiful coloring. The plants can be fake or live but if you're worried about extra work, go with fake. I understand about the limited space, though. Just be prepared to change the water every other day if you can't upgrade to a larger tank. More than anything, your betta will love clean water. And get whatever shape will fit best in your limited space.