Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-07-2011, 10:20 AM   #11 
yianyian91

Thank you :D
Erm... About changing the water.. What method will be the best?
Do you move the Betta to another tank/cans when washing the original tank or do you scoop up some(50% more or less?) of the water in the original tank and pour in the new water(new water which has already added anti chlorine?) ?
yianyian91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 10:43 AM   #12 
Sakura8

For water changes, you can leave your betta in there as long as you're not emptying it completely. You can scoop up about 95%, leaving about 3-4 cm for the fish to swim around in. Then just add in the dechlorinated water, making sure it's roughly the same temp as the water in there. That way you don't shock your betta too much. Obviously, when you want to take out all the water so you can wash the tank, you need to remove your betta to another container. Just be sure not to use any soaps or cleaners to wash the tank - use only warm water.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 11:12 AM   #13 
yianyian91

Erm... Ok.. If I change to a bigger tank, about 1 or 1.5 gallon like OFL suggested and with all the plants (fake or not) and cave.
In this case, how long do I need to change(the scooping method) my water once?
And how long do I need to do a complete change of water? I believe I have to do complete change of water to get the sh!t(sorry for vulgar, don't know what word can replace) out of the tank, right? When they all sink under the water/rock which scooping method can't really catch them.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:37 AM   #14 
Sakura8

Do you mean how long can you go before you have to change the water or how long will it take to actually change the water, like how many minutes?

To get the poop (sh**) out, you can either completely empty the tank and rinse it out, or you can get a gravel vacuum/siphon. Even if you don't use gravel, the vacuum will suck up all the small debris, including the poop. The vacuum is a long piece of clear hose with a little attachment at the end. You stick one end in the water and suck on the other end until water flows through the tube, then you stick the end in a bucket or your sink and let the water empty. Meanwhile you move the end of the tube with the attachment around the tank and the suction will suck up all the dirt from the bottom of the tank, even if you use rocks and gravel. Once you've removed enough water, take the tube out of the tank. You fill up a bucket with the dechlorinated water and pour that slowly into the tank and you're done.
Old 06-07-2011, 12:06 PM   #15 
yianyian91

Oh.. I meant how long can I go before I have to change the water... And also, how long can I go before I have to completely change the water... I am not sure is it different to you, but I sounds different to me.. LoL
Old 06-07-2011, 12:43 PM   #16 
Sakura8

In a 1 or 1.5 gallon tank, I'd say you can do a 50% change early in the week like Monday and a 100% change on Thursday. The more water changes the better, though, so if you have the time, you could do 50% Monday and Wednesday and a 100% Friday.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:43 PM   #17 
yianyian91

Wow... still require a lot of water changing... Ok..thanks a lot.. hehe Will consider getting a big tank..
Oh oh!! There is a question I am curious about.. How much does a Betta selling in western countries??
Lets say, Plakat, Half Moon, Clown ? xD

Last edited by yianyian91; 06-07-2011 at 07:53 PM.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:31 PM   #18 
Sakura8

Veiltails are the most common and inexpensive here, selling for about $2-3. Halfmoons are the more expensive and rare, selling for about $12-16. Females are less expensive. King bettas sell for $20 or so and plakats sell for $10-15. These are pet store prices. Bettas sold by those who breed them sell for much more.

Yup, still a lot of water changes but if you get a gravel vacuum, you'll find that it goes by very fast. I can change the water in my 2.5 gallon tank in less than 10 minutes.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:57 PM   #19 
yianyian91

What the.... Halfmoon is rare? There are all over in my hometown (East Malaysia, a small state which West Malaysia consider we are still a rural area). Zzzzz

Halfmoon & Clown tails are selling at RM12 which is 3.xx USD only... And Plakat selling around RM 5~8 which is 2.xx USD only.. There aren't any Pro Betta player in my hometown neither I am. We just call them(halfmoon/clown) long tail and the short tail which means Plakat. LoL Because of the length of their tails.. Haha!!

I bought mine around RM20 which is only 6.xx USD in Kuala Lumpur because I am studying here (West Malaysia, consider the biggest city in Malaysia and the highest expenses place). That's why there are selling very expensive compare with my hometown..Some even selling for RM90++ (30 USD and above) which this kind of quality, I can get them at RM12 (3.xx USD) back to my hometown. How big the difference is? Actually I feel like they are trying to cheat because the big city people in my country never seen the cheap price Betta. Since they are born, the price for a Betta is that kind of price. Sad for the kids.. =/

What's a King Betta? Is a kind of species or people rate them as King Betta?
Old 06-07-2011, 09:07 PM   #20 
Sakura8

A King betta is a really big betta. They're about 7-10 cm or 3-4 inches. Plakats are pretty rare around the west too. And it does sound like the big city people are being cheated but that's what happens in big cities.