Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-13-2011, 06:54 PM   #1 
BettaCavy

Upgrading from a 2gal, looking for suggestions!

So right now, I have my Betta in a 2gal that I got from PetSmart, which was the biggest I could get because I was living in a forced triple last year. This upcoming year, I'll have a much bigger room at school and a roommate who thinks fish are cool, not gross, so we're looking at getting a bigger tank. She would like to have a snail or a smaller fish in the tank, which may or may not be able to happen because my Betta, Zip, is extremely aggressive (frequently tries to bite when he's fed. Sometimes succeeds.).

What size tank would you suggest, and what about brands? Plants, tankmates, etc? I'm looking to spend no more than $100 but would like to get a cool set-up that will give Zip a little more room to hang out than he has now.

Additionally, the tank MUST be able to be moved, since it has to come to uni with me in September, and home for winter break, and back to uni and back home again. The moves aren't going to be incredibly frequent, but will have to happen.

Thanks! I've done some looking around on the forums, but everything looks really cool and I'm not sure what will be best given the restrictions that I have. My biggest priority is just getting Zip into a bigger environment while still being able to keep him at uni.

Last edited by BettaCavy; 06-13-2011 at 06:57 PM.
BettaCavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 07:52 PM   #2 
Lion Mom

I own three of these:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hawkeye-5-...arium/14660258

and LOVE them!!!

I believe a snail could go in there with a betta, but not sure. Hopefully, somebody else will come along soon to help ya out with that! :)
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 09:39 PM   #3 
PewPewPew

Many schools allow ten gallons, and some (like mine, omgg) allow TWENTY! 8D Whooohooo!!!

But but. I suggest staying under 7 gallons, not only for space but also weight, because a full 10 gallon with only water is 90-110lbs!

I also like the hawkeye, its a great tank for a great price. I also own this sucker:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tetra-Aqua..._fb_revshr_001
A well priced tank with a good everything, though its filter is VERY strong and requires both a baffle and a jammed up intake (which sucked up my poor boy's fins :'c )

I also own this guy, which says 5 gallons but holds 6+:
http://www.petco.com/product/12788/M...arium-Kit.aspx

I love this tank.The filter is great (though it will need a baffle for the outtake) and is easy to cycle. Its not a good tank to divide, though, because of the shape. Petsmart has sales on these all the time, especially with their petperks card.

Please dont get any more fish in a tank under 10 gallons! If you get another betta, which is the only option, it will need to be properly divided. Most fellow tank mates, though small, need friends in groups too large for a less than 10 gallons tank.

If hes very aggressive, though, just stay away from anything :) A snail is fine in 5 gallons, but they poop a lot ew. I like nerite snails, personally. (Apple/Mystery snails are too big and freak me out!!!)

A tank over 4 gallons will need a new heater, btw :)

Pics pics pics when you decide!

(Btw- Im in college too, so these guys are college-approved! Hahhhh!)
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:02 PM   #4 
BettaCavy

Thank you both!

My little brother has the Tetra for his goldfish, so I may end up inheriting that if we can convince my parents that his fish is getting too big for the tank (it's quadrupled in size in less than two months so...) but I was looking at the Hawkeye if I end up purchasing one myself. Have you had trouble with the Hawkeye filter? I know the Tetra one is very strong, the goldfish has trouble with it sometimes.

I got a large heater because it was more temp-adjustable and cheaper than the other ones, so I'm good up to 10gal :) Have you had success putting in any plants?

My biggest worry with the snail is that Zip is aggressive, but I also don't know if I'm just overestimating how aggressive he is. He's definitely bitten both my brother and I, but (obviously) have never tried with another seacritter. Do you know off the top of your head if a nerite or apple/mystery snail would be okay with a goldfish? If they are, and Zip is too aggressive with the snail I could just give it to my brother in that case.

The only problem I've had with Zip and college is that he's distracting XD Watching fish > doing math set.
BettaCavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 11:19 PM   #5 
PewPewPew

Im not sure, it depends mostly on the temp of the tank. If it gets too cold, then no. Try getting the fish at least 10 gallons. They need usually at least that to themselves, and common goldfish need 20 gallons! @__@

To be honest, the worst he can do to a snail is hit at it. Its got a shell, after all! My fish is the same, only he bites and it HURTS (little bugger :/), but he just got used to her. Sometimes he'll flare or nip, but nothing bad.

Ive had fantastic success with plants in my tanks.
If it helps at all:
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=67565
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 09:18 AM   #6 
Lion Mom

For baffling, use aquarium sponge/foam & rubber band it to the front of the tank.

If you go to page 4 of the baffling sticky, you will will see a pic of how it is done.

MUCH better, IMO, than the bottle method!!!
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote