Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-10-2011, 03:11 AM   #1 
KristinM

Question Filtration and water flow

Hi everyone

I need some advice. My new betta is in a 2.5 gallon tank which came with a small filter. I also have 3 guppies in the tank.

My question is this: Do the Bettas need flowing water? I know they naturally live in still water. I have turned the filter down to it's lowest power but because the tank is quite small i still think it is a little strong. He isnt fighting against a current but of course if he swims past it then it will.

I dont let it run 24/7. I turn it off at times, especially when he eats and also at night so that he can sleep but im not sure if I should have it on at all. of course i know it's good for filtration purposes but i dont want it causing him any stress. And i feel like the guppies are 100% with it.

If the tank was double the size the flow would be substantially softer but for right now i dont have the space for a bigger aquarium.

Any thoughts?
KristinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 03:52 AM   #2 
trono

Sorry that I'm not addressing your questions, but it's not really feasible to keep any fish other than a betta in a 2.5 gallon tank, filtered or not.
trono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 03:56 AM   #3 
Twilight Storm

You can baffle the filter outflow with a plastic water bottle section if the current seems strong for him, other people have used aquarium sponges to baffle the out flow. Unless he gets thrown around by the current (or generally looks pretty miserable, or can't rest) I wouldn't worry too much about it. Putting a nylon stocking, or a pre-filter sponge on the intake tube might be needed since a lot of people had problems with their betta getting sucked into the intake tube.

I am not an expert by any means, but you may find yourself loosing your guppies. If they have long fins your betta might start to fight them. If you notice that fins are looking torn, it's probably a sign your betta is going after the guppies. You might want to put in some plants they can hide in. And maybe a plant that floats near the top so the betta can rest near the surface.

Again I am not an expert, but I have read that turning on and off the filter could cause the beneficial bacteria to pass away, and when you turn it back on you get a rush of ammonia into your tank. It's probably best to leave it on and find a way to baffle the current.

(wanted to add since another member brought it up: A good rule of thumb is one inch of fish (not including fins) per gallon of water. I don't know how big your guppies or betta are at the moment but you might also loose fish from that. I have never tried to keep any other fish with my betta in any size tank yet.)

Good luck :)
And best wishes

Last edited by Twilight Storm; 06-10-2011 at 04:03 AM. Reason: added
Twilight Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 05:14 AM   #4 
KristinM

They all seem to get along fine though. The guppies are average size. If anything, the one male guppy killed the other one over the females NOT the Betta. But I dont plan on replacing any of them as and when they do die

But thanks for the tips, i will have to try. the filter is pretty simple and also very small, it doesnt have an intake "tube" that he could get sucked into.

I plan on a proper upgrade of tank as soon as possible though, so this wont be a long term problem.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:10 PM   #5 
Thunderloon

which make/model of tank is it?
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 09:06 AM   #6 
KristinM

I'll confirm tomorrow, i cant think of the name and im at work!