Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-07-2011, 03:35 PM   #11 
nel3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
Better to underfeed than overfeed, I think. As long as he's not emaciated. Although you could probably go to 1 flake and 3 pellets a day or 2 and 2. As for the toothpick, just snap off the tip and make sure the tip isn't jagged. Some people use those little plastic spoons you can get when you sample ice cream at Baskin Robbins or a frozen yogurt place.

Hey, why not just call him Nel Toro? Even a betta can have a middle name.
ty, maybe a plastic fork could do also if i remove all but 1 finger? Nel Toro isnt too bad. it might sound better if he doesnt calm down during feeding sessions. its rather funny to see him this agressive but its worrying me a bit if he decides to jump out the tank whe i feed him. btw what is a good level of water below the top of the tank that limits the fish from jumping over?
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 08:37 PM   #12 
Sakura8

Sure, I'd think a plastic fork would be okay too if the tips were fairly blunt. And if you're worried he might jump you can always try feeding him more in the middle of the tank than near the edge. You can lower the water but I think the only way to guarantee he doesn't jump out is to lower the water to about half. Most fish can jump really high. So you're probably better off just keeping a close eye on him.

If he ever does jump out, don't put him back into the tank. Instead, get a small container like a bowl and scoop some of the tank water into that. Put him in there. This way, you won't get dirt and other floor gunk in your tank. Plus, it will make it easier for him to recover from the shock of his jump. Bettas who've jumped tend to rest on the bottom for a while so a small bowl will make it easier for him to rise to the surface to breath without having to swim so much. Once he seems like he's back to himself, you can then put him back in his tank.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 01:38 AM   #13 
nel3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
Sure, I'd think a plastic fork would be okay too if the tips were fairly blunt. And if you're worried he might jump you can always try feeding him more in the middle of the tank than near the edge. You can lower the water but I think the only way to guarantee he doesn't jump out is to lower the water to about half. Most fish can jump really high. So you're probably better off just keeping a close eye on him.

If he ever does jump out, don't put him back into the tank. Instead, get a small container like a bowl and scoop some of the tank water into that. Put him in there. This way, you won't get dirt and other floor gunk in your tank. Plus, it will make it easier for him to recover from the shock of his jump. Bettas who've jumped tend to rest on the bottom for a while so a small bowl will make it easier for him to rise to the surface to breath without having to swim so much. Once he seems like he's back to himself, you can then put him back in his tank.
ty Sakura, for some reason i think its extra agressive due to the goldfish conditioner i put in last water change so an experiment is needed to confirm it. looks like they really show how fragile the are once they've jumped.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 02:39 AM   #14 
Sakura8

Fish are fragile all right and yet incredibly hardy at the same time. One thing to remember is if you ever find that your fish has jumped while you're gone and you come home to find this little shriveled up thing on the floor, try resuscitating it anyway. It's always worth a try and some fish have come back to life almost like they were zombies or something. Because bettas have the labyrinth organ which allows them to breathe air, they can survive a little longer out of water. In fact, what will kill a fish out of water is that their slime coat dries up.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:58 AM   #15 
KristinM

Thanks for all the advice!

I must say he LOVED the bloodworms! pity they are dead though and dont give him some sport in chasing them. I have 3 small guppies in with him and they also seemed to like them! im not sure if they should be eating them!

The bucket idea outside is a great idea. Will get that started soon :)
KristinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 06:53 AM   #16 
Wyvern

The guppies can eat them so dont worry about that!
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 06:30 AM   #17 
KristinM

well! last night it poured with rain and it just so happened that i have a big bucket standing outside which is now full of rain water and ready to start growing some larvae! My fiance is appalled at the idea of me ALLOWING mosquitos to breed outside but i have assured him they will be long gone before they hatch :) so i am hoping this is successful!

If anything my guppies are thriving on all the extra food they get instead of ordinary flakes!
KristinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 09:36 AM   #18 
Sakura8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinM View Post
well! last night it poured with rain and it just so happened that i have a big bucket standing outside which is now full of rain water and ready to start growing some larvae! My fiance is appalled at the idea of me ALLOWING mosquitos to breed outside but i have assured him they will be long gone before they hatch :) so i am hoping this is successful!

If anything my guppies are thriving on all the extra food they get instead of ordinary flakes!
You can scoop up extra larvae and freeze them in ice cube trays, too. Your guppies are probably going to be breeding like crazy with all this live food so you may want to get them their own tank - your betta will eat the eggs and/or fry. If they do breed in the tank with your betta, just keep an eye on him and make sure he doesn't get too fat. Chances are you won't have to feed him much while there are guppy fry in the tank.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:48 AM   #19 
Wyvern

My boys get fed once a day after I get home from work, I feed them Tetra Prima 47,5% proteien. They get bloodworms 2 - 4 of them once a week, Ocean Nutrition Formula 1 flakes once a week and Mysis (they are like Brine shrimps).

They love all their foods, bloodworms is the obvious favourite and my red boy loves the mysis as well.
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 01:40 PM   #20 
pinksnowme

Kristin M
Can you post a picture of your tank with the Guppies and Betta?
I love Guppies too and would like to add 2 with my Betta. How did you introduce them? Do you feed the Guppies and the Betta the same foods?
pinksnowme is offline   Reply With Quote