Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-09-2011, 07:56 PM   #21 
Sakura8

You do have to be careful with guppies - some more aggressive bettas see them as rivals and will try and beat the tar out of 'em. Try and get guppies that are not similar in color to your betta (no red guppies in a tank with a red betta). I think it's that long guppy tail that does it. They see it and think it's another male betta.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 03:02 AM   #22 
KristinM

I only got them last weekend but I got them all at the same time. I had 2 male and 2 female guppies but I came home to find the one male guppy dead the other day. I looked it up and apparently male guppies can be very aggressive towards each other especially over females and i had noticed this one was hiding a lot and being chased. The other male guppy has a very large bright orange tail and he has been fine and i have not seen my Betta be aggressive towards them at all. This male is very active with the females and im sure it's only a matter of time before the fry arrive.

To be honest they dont really worry each other. The guppies stay out of his way at meal times and if they get in his space I have noticed he sort of turns towards them and they move away. But I have never seen him chase them aggressively. The shop I bought them from said i should be careful that the Betta does not nip their fins because of the bright colours, i thought it would be the other way around!

In the past I had the same mix of a Betta with guppies and the fry didnt last long! I planned on removing him if there are fry but i have also read that the guppies will also eat their own fry. My tank is too small for a breeding net :( I plan on an upgrade soon! Only had them a week and im already wanting a bigger set up! I have missed having fish!
KristinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 03:04 AM   #23 
KristinM

I will take photos over the weekend and post on monday :) Unfortunately the Betta in my Avatar is not my own :( but the colours are similar and im hoping as he grows his fins are that attractive!
Old 06-10-2011, 03:11 AM   #24 
Arashi Takamine

Akira's favorite food ever is his brine shrimp. He will go wild after getting some. He always needs a big piece. (Keeps him busy as he refuses to let any sink.) Kai's favorite food is his NLS pellets and his betta min flake however brine shrimp is like betta crack: They canNOT get without it after giving it to them. Now it's their special treat after waterchanges so they can de-stress easier from being in their cups.
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 03:37 AM   #25 
Sakura8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinM View Post
I only got them last weekend but I got them all at the same time. I had 2 male and 2 female guppies but I came home to find the one male guppy dead the other day. I looked it up and apparently male guppies can be very aggressive towards each other especially over females and i had noticed this one was hiding a lot and being chased. The other male guppy has a very large bright orange tail and he has been fine and i have not seen my Betta be aggressive towards them at all. This male is very active with the females and im sure it's only a matter of time before the fry arrive.

To be honest they dont really worry each other. The guppies stay out of his way at meal times and if they get in his space I have noticed he sort of turns towards them and they move away. But I have never seen him chase them aggressively. The shop I bought them from said i should be careful that the Betta does not nip their fins because of the bright colours, i thought it would be the other way around!

In the past I had the same mix of a Betta with guppies and the fry didnt last long! I planned on removing him if there are fry but i have also read that the guppies will also eat their own fry. My tank is too small for a breeding net :( I plan on an upgrade soon! Only had them a week and im already wanting a bigger set up! I have missed having fish!

Haha, sounds like you've done your research. It's good, I think your betta is a more docile type. There are some bettas who won't tolerate anyone in their tank, no matter what it is. They'll even attack snails and ghost shrimp.

You could always put Java Moss in there - the fry can hide in it. Another option is a homemade spawning mop. Get some acrylic yarn that you know to be absolutely colorfast and tie it into a long tassel. Hang that in the tank so the ends are in the water. The fry can hide in that as well. Google "spawning mop" and you can find pics and info on them.
Old 06-10-2011, 03:39 AM   #26 
Sakura8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arashi Takamine View Post
Akira's favorite food ever is his brine shrimp. He will go wild after getting some. He always needs a big piece. (Keeps him busy as he refuses to let any sink.) Kai's favorite food is his NLS pellets and his betta min flake however brine shrimp is like betta crack: They canNOT get without it after giving it to them. Now it's their special treat after waterchanges so they can de-stress easier from being in their cups.
That's a good idea to give them their favorite treat after a water change. Like rewarding your kid for cleaning their room, only you're the one cleaning.
Old 06-10-2011, 04:31 AM   #27 
KristinM

Thanks for the ideas :) My little piggie is definitely eating like a king! as are his guppy friends!

I've just googled Java Moss and Spawning mops and i see what you mean, great plan! i think the one guppy was bought pregnant, she looks larger than the other one. So either we have more babies or a Take-Away meal for the King! ha ha!
Old 06-10-2011, 07:30 AM   #28 
Sakura8

One guppy mating can produce several batches of fry so if a male and female guppy are kept together, then the female is pregnant almost all the time. Your betta's going to have a lot of live foods so he'll be a big and healthy (and maybe a litttle fat) guy.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:28 AM   #29 
KristinM

I find the blood worms can make the water really dirty :( I have cut back his food a lot now so there is no wastage and nothing left to rot the water. And I have taken out all pretty marbles which trapped extra leftovers. the guppies clean the gravel quite well as they search for leftover bits. Im used to a large 3 foot tank so i am adjusting to now only having this small one :(

Yesterday I decided to try the earthworm idea because I dont want to keep feeding too many blood worms. It took time and patience and I got a few weird looks from the neighbour as to why i was digging in an empty pot, but I was lucky enough to find REALLY small ones in an old pot plant. they were a little on the long side though so i sadisically had to chop them in half :( However it worked out for the best because they were still wriggling and I think he enjoyed the hunt!

I had 3 little guppies waiting in the wings for a tidbit but he didnt leave any!

We are still waiting for the larvae experiment to get going!
Old 06-13-2011, 06:44 AM   #30 
KristinM

For those of you who wanted to see the Betta with the guppies and what they looked like here are some pictures as best i could get! I hope this works - I havent uploaded photos on this forum before.