Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-07-2011, 01:09 PM   #1 
Irishdancer

Symptoms have changed

My betta has been sick for a couple weeks now, and I'm very worried about him. I posted a question about him when I first noticed a problem, but I wanted to ask again because the symptoms have changed. The first symptom I noticed was swollen eyes, and they are back to normal size now, although the membrane looks odd, so I think they may be damaged.

Again, I'm sorry that I don't have pictures and I realize that no pictures makes it harder for you to know what's wrong, but my camera isn't able to take good pictures through the water, and all I'm getting is a sillohutte.

Housing
What size is your tank? 1.5 gallons
What temperature is your tank? It was in the low 70s when he became sick, but now is at 82.
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? It is now, not when he first became sick
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? flakes
How often do you feed your betta fish? twice a day

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Daily since he's been sick
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? Usually 100 %
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? Only tested ph

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH: 6.8
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? His eyes had been swollen, but back to normal size now (eye membrane looks like it might have been damaged, though), color on belly and face a bit grayish
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Less active for a while, but gradually getting energy back. Today I've noticed that he seems off balanced because he tips to the side when he is resting.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? He's been sick for nearly 3 weeks, but all the current symmptoms are more recent. The color has changed very gradually, and the off-balance thing has only been today.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I used tetracycline at first, and when that didnt work, I tried using aquariam salft for freshwater fish.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Not before this illness, although he was injured once
How old is your fish (approximately)? I've had him since the beginning of March.
Irishdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 01:26 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

If it has been at least 7 days since the last treatment...I would do Epsom salt treatment, if he is still in some type of treatment...I would do a 5 day fresh dechlorinated water treatment...sometimes they can get toxic with too many back to back treatment and their system needs rest.....

Is he eating okay......nutrition is really important.....you may want to add another food in the diet...like a pellet, frozen type food and even better live foods like mosquito larva.....

*Epsom salt 2tsp/gal (Not aquarium salt) tannins if you have some-either IAL or dried oak leaf-along with 100% daily water changes for 10-14 days

I would QT in a small container for treatment-use something small enough to fit in the heated tank to maintain water temp in the 76-77F range, cover the top with plastic veggie wrap to retain heat and humidity for the labyrinth

Pre-mix the treatment water in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water-add the Epsom salt 2tsp/gal, tannins-and use this water for the 100% daily water changes
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote