Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-23-2011, 10:48 AM   #11 
ThirdPotato

Thank you for the reply! Then yes, my fish is of a good weight n.n THanks for the info!

As for his panting you can see a video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fb593V5O_ik

The methods I've tried so far since the initial problem that hasn't helped are: lowering tank water, cooling it down (from when it was over 80), changing tanks entirely (to ensure no nitrate cycle issues. I switched to his tank that I've been using for over a year and has been cycled)

Do you think it could be from TOO many live plants? Maybe its giving his tank too much oxygen?
ThirdPotato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:57 AM   #12 
Sakura8

Okay, looks like pretty heavy gill movement and a definite need to breathe air. Poor little guy. As for the plants, unless you have so many he can't even swim in there, I doubt they could cause that much oxygen. But I'm not a plant expert so maybe someone will post who knows more about that. To me, it looks like possible gill flukes. They're invisible to the naked eye but a severe enough infestation of them can cause the heavy breathing like you've seen. If you can, get him into a QT tank with a lowered water level and start treating him with a product like API General Cure. Hopefully that will take care of the problem. You may need to do a complete change of water in his tank and vacuum the gravel really well to get rid of possible parasites in there, possibly rinse the tank sides and any decor with warm water.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 11:13 AM   #13 
ThirdPotato

Wow that sounds pretty serious. Pardon my ignorance but I can't seem to find the info anywhere... What IS a QT/quartertine tank exactly?

I do 100% waterchanges because of his smaller 2gal tank size, and wash his rocks/tankside/decorations with hot water. His most recent change was last night. I've used API Stress Coat on him lately for the water changes cuz he tends to get stressed out a lot these days. I could get the API General Cure and see how that works.

This has been going on for several weeks now. He hasn't flared up in a long time though. Over a month or two. But he's stilla ctive and happy. I also have Jungle brand Parasite Clear if you think that helps?
Old 06-23-2011, 11:21 AM   #14 
Sakura8

Yeah, you can use Jungle Clear. A QT tank is a quarantine tank or a hospital tank that you use only for sick fish. It's usually smaller than the regular tank so it makes treating and daily water changes easier. If you don't have live plants, you can probably treat him in his 2 gallon. He'll feel more comfortable in his own tank. Just be sure to remove any carbon from the filter first; it filters out the medication.
Old 07-11-2011, 03:23 PM   #15 
ThirdPotato

Hey,

Still having problems. I've done parasite clear on him for several days and a few water changes, but to no avail. Still haven't tried salt. Can someone let me know if this is the right kind, and how much of this to put in? Currently, I've lowered him to a single gallon of water because of his panting, I didn't want him to struggle to the top. (Salt reads: Epsom salt, magnesium sulfate, USP, saline laxative, soaking acid, MgSO4 7H20 )

No filter in his tank, a heater keeps his water a little above 80. Let me know what's too hot for a Betta fish. I'm afraid of making it too hot for him, though I know the 80s are a good "healing" range.

I still use Deer Park spring water, though I'm thinking I"ll try out that "Betta Water" at the pet store to see if that fixes things without me having to add chemicals to his water. He's pretty sensative to changes, so I really don't want to put him over the edge.

Last night, he almost died. I don't know what from. I was gone for a week, my parents took care of him in the meantime, nothing out of the ordinary. When I got back, it was like he was holding on just to see me one last time. After he ate a pellet he started floating on his side, sinking to the bottom on his side, bobbing up and down, swimming funny. I thought he'd die for sure, but its like he held on again, just for me. I changed his water, and after a moment of him laying there, he got up and is back to "normal." Still panting though, not listless persay but not as active as usual.

He's an old fish, but I thought he could live longer. He's only 1.5 years since I got him at the pet store. (so assuming they're 1 when they sell him, he'd be 2.5 years) I just don't like seeing him pant.

His panting's been going on for over a month now, he seems okay otherwise. He eats, still greets me excitedly, still swims around a bit, still jumps for his food.

I thought perhaps the old plants may be giving off something in his water, so I removed all plants from his tank. I may go out and buy one small set, but what type to get? Please let me know if you can help in any way. Thanks!

Last edited by ThirdPotato; 07-11-2011 at 03:34 PM.
Old 07-11-2011, 07:14 PM   #16 
Sakura8

Wow, I'm sorry to hear he's still having troubles. :( At this point, I'm beginning to wonder if he has a gill deformity somehow. Oh, and while epsom salt is good, for this case, you will want to use aquarium salt so you can pick that up when you get plants. I don't really have much recommendation on plants, just be sure they aren't spiky so they catch his tail. At least one tall plant that he can rest on would be good, too.

Oh, when you get the aquarium salt, it's 1 tsp per gallon. Let the salt dissolve first in a little bit of tank water before pouring it in.
Old 07-11-2011, 07:21 PM   #17 
ThirdPotato

Thank you very much for the reply, and about the salt. I'll give that a shot if the Betta Water doesn't work out for him. I just want to make sure I'm not doing something wrong that's making him that way. I'm thinking it may be old age, because he's been panting for over a month now, and is otherwise healthy. He's just running down u.u

But thank you again. I'll do what I can to make him happy n.n
Old 07-11-2011, 10:44 PM   #18 
Sakura8

It's possible, he could just be old. Then all you can do is make sure he's comfortable.

Tags
breathing, heavily breathing, panting, problem