Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-07-2011, 02:49 PM   #1 
Creat

Question Puffer mystery Help?

So I dont keep just betta my second love is puffer fish lol but recently I came across this guy and no one has been able to tell me what he is? Anyone here got a clue all my LFS and fellow fish geeks are stumped :/
The first two are the mystery guy and the third is a pea puffer what he was sold as maybe its not me but he is three times the size of a pea puffer and wrong marking he aint a pea puffer...
Name:  IMG_1322.JPG
Views: 58
Size:  42.8 KB

Name:  IMG_1321.JPG
Views: 52
Size:  45.7 KB

Name:  IMG_1314.JPG
Views: 51
Size:  53.6 KB
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 03:01 PM   #2 
Genin

1st guy looks like an Mbu puffer to me and the second little tyke may be either a dwarf puffer or a green spotted. If its already larger than a standard full grown dwarf puffer than it most likely is a green spotted puffer. They can be easily confused when the green spotted is a juvenile. I loved my puffers when I used to keep them and make sure you do your research because their needs often change as they mature. Cute additions. They look healthy.
Genin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 03:09 PM   #3 
Creat

Ha ha thank you whats throwing me off is his orange belly and his stripes he doesnt seem to have the spots the mbu's have but maybe he is just off right now he is about 2 inches long and. And the first two pics are the same boy the last pic is off a pea puffer he was sold with.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:16 PM   #4 
Genin

Hey creat can you get a pic of the top of the bottom puffer. It may be a figure 8 but we'd need to see the top for that.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:38 PM   #5 
Creat

I cant get one of his belly its just plain orange surrounded by a little white but here is his top
Name:  IMG_1330.JPG
Views: 50
Size:  71.7 KB
sorry its a little blurry he is in the center also
Old 06-07-2011, 06:09 PM   #6 
PitGurl

Aww, I love puffers. They had some green spotted ones at wal-mart one day and I wanted to rescue them so bad. I put my finger up to the tank and the one came up looking at it all crosseyed. He pecked at my finger through the glass. I'm glad I didn't get them though, I had no idea they needed such special care.
PitGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 12:45 AM   #7 
RayneForhest

What kind of special care do they need? I too wanted to rescue them.
RayneForhest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 01:01 AM   #8 
Creat

It depends on the puffer a lot of them sold are spotted puffers and they require brackish water some puffers are freshwater is depends on the puffer... this guy I have no idea what he is... Im thinkin malabar puffer is my best bet for this guy he seems to be changing a little maybe he might define his colors better later
Old 06-08-2011, 09:20 AM   #9 
Genin

Honestly Creat, I can't really tell. We at least ruled out Figure 8! That's a plus. Due to his size it's hard to call it a dwarf puffer but it looks exactly like one, markings and all. Check this link: http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/Fishindx/puf-trav.htm
Old 06-08-2011, 11:44 AM   #10 
Creat

I think I got to agree with you Genin.... im following the care for one and he hasnt keeled over in a week so I think I'm just going to stick with it sense its keeping him alive but I'm not to worried I have had fish that are larger then normal. I had a african butterfly fish that was pushing 6 inches once the beast :D got her from a tiny shop way out in the sticks same place I got this boy