Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-09-2011, 07:36 PM   #1 
Grundylady

Put them in smaller divided space for summer?

I currently have two bettas one in a 2 gal tank and 1 in a 2.5 gal Aqueon Mini Tank. (NOT the mini Bow. THIS one.) It has two glass dividers that can be put in, giving each of three bays .8333 gal.

I am going to be going away alot during the summer months and since this tank has a cover (just got one) and the bowl does not I was thinking about putting in one of the dividers and having Bo on the big side (~1.5 gal) and Princess (Small female crowntail) on the other (Just under 1 gal)

Do you think she will do OK in such a small space?

I am thinking it is better then to go away for a week at a time and let the water evaporate so the filters don't work(.....or overheat......or catch fire.....whatever.)

The tank is cycled so I am not worried so much about water changes - besides I won't be away for more then a week at time.

(I will add, the dividers are glass and I wondered how the water would circulate - but my local fish store has the same tank with both dividers in and three bettas and tell me that the water circulates just fine. They are the store's pet fish and Not For Sale. Also this store is not selling me anything I bought the tank dividers and stuff elsewhere)

Any thoughts?
Grundylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 07:59 PM   #2 
Grundylady

Better Picture of the tank with both dividers in. I would only be putting in one of the dividers.

HERE
Old 06-09-2011, 11:01 PM   #3 
turtle10

It is just too small for two bettas in my opinion, and all the water changes you would have to do would disrupt the cycle. With all glass dividers the water will not circulate sufficiently. The only way it would circulate is if there where spaces inbetween the divider and the glass and if so then the bettas could get stuck in it or go through to the other side.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 09:44 AM   #4 
Grundylady

Its filtered and cycled so their would not be any additional water changes.

But I agree I'm not so sure the water will circulate enough. I may try replacing the glass with plexi with holes drilled in it.

Really I am trying to decide between the lesser of two evils. Leave her unattended in an open topped tank with serious evaporation issues, or have her in 2.5 gal of filtered water (though only just shy of 1 gal swimming space.)

Anyone else want to chime in here?
Old 06-10-2011, 12:52 PM   #5 
Tisia

even filtered and cycled, that'll be twice the bioload in a rather small tank, the beneficial bacteria can only do so much
you could always put some saran wrap over the top of the other tank with holes poked into it to help keep it from evaporating as fast
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 02:57 PM   #6 
bahamut285

If you're going to be away a lot, who's feeding them? (I assume you are doing the water changes whenever you have a chance)...you could probably set aside a bucke of aged or treated water and just ask the feeder person to top it off every now and then...

If you don't have such a person, then I would probably go with Tisia's idea
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 03:50 PM   #7 
cajunamy
Banned

if you turn off the filter, eventually you're bacteria will die off from lack of oxygen
cajunamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 04:30 PM   #8 
Grundylady

Thanks everyone, alot to think about.
I can't do the saran wrap thing since Princess is in the tetra Waterfall globe. It just would not work. Most of the time I am going to my mother's beach house with my children. So I was hoping I might be able to bring them with me there. IF they were together in the same small tank, they could summer there.

Maybe I can get my friends son to come over and top off the water now and then...