Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-07-2011, 09:50 PM   #1 
HD4life

Pectoral fin problem

One of my females got chewed on a bit by one of her "sisters" about a week ago, no major injurys just a few tattered spots, so I took her and put her in a jar to treat her, her torn spots are healing very well with regular water changes and melafix, but she just came up with a problem with one of her pectoral fins, its normaly the very thin rounded triangle shape, but right now its like clumped together in a thin rectangle and she doesnt use it at all, I dont see anything on her body like ick or fin rot but I know it isnt normal or didnt use to be like this, any ideas?
HD4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 10:08 PM   #2 
DarkMoon17

Can you fill out the sticky in the disease section? That will help a lot... Have you tries using a flashlight to look for velvet?
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 10:29 PM   #3 
HD4life

Exclamation questionair filled out

Housing
What size is your tank? She was in a 10 gallon until I moved to to a 1g to be treated
What temperature is your tank? 82
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Filters water flow
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? 3 other females

Food

What type of food do you feed your betta fish? betta pro pellets, mosquito larva and bbs

How often do you feed your betta fish? 3 small meals daily

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? three times a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25-50 %
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? aqua safe plus

Water Parameters:

Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? havent tested

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? clumped together pectoral fin
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? A slight struggle to swim properly
When did you start noticing the symptoms? yesterday
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? quarintined, melafix, clean water
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? 6 Mo
Old 06-07-2011, 11:44 PM   #4 
PewPewPew

Its only the one fin? :o
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 10:05 AM   #5 
HD4life

Yes just the one
Old 06-08-2011, 10:28 AM   #6 
Sakura8

Was the pectoral one of the fins chewed on by her "sisters"?
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 03:41 PM   #7 
HD4life

I don't think so, I didn't notice when I separated her. But it's worse now, it's almost gone :( her other fins are almost healed, just one chunk missing from her tail now and that's it.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:09 PM   #8 
Sakura8

Good thing she's in the QT because with only one pectoral, she'd have a hard time outrunning her sisters. Like trying to row a boat with only one oar. Hopefully the melafix will help her heal quickly. I've never heard of this kind of thing happening to a pectoral, it's definitely worrisome but I think that as long as she can get to the surface to breathe okay, she could probably live out a full life even if it doesn't grow back. She won't ever be able to go back in with her sisters and she'll need a smaller tank than a 10g but with care, she'd be okay. However, that's the worst-worst-case scenario and I'm still hoping that fin will heal and regrow. You might want to PM Oldfishlady because this is so unusual.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:28 PM   #9 
HD4life

I was worried earlier because she got so sluggish and was almost floating but she has picked up now, she got excited over her mosquito larva dinner. She does still swim ok, just takes a little more effort. I'm just puzzled as to why her other fins are healing well and this one seems to be almost disintegrating.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:49 PM   #10 
Sakura8

Yeah, that is weird. I wonder if something more vital was affected in that fin, like more nerves or ligaments. Since the pectoral is so much shorter than her other fins, it wouldn't take much to reach those nerves. All I can suggest is warm water, lots of water changes, and observation. I'm glad she's got some energy back, though. Since it sounds like she was being picked on by her "stepsisters," you could call her Cinderella.