Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-08-2011, 01:12 PM   #1 
Bettalover22

Question Betta turning colors

New here & not sure if this was the right place to post this but here it goes.
When I got my second betta (crowntail) he was beautiful. I put him in a 10 gallon with a few community fish because he is so sweet & docile. He seemed to be very stressed out & chewed up his fins. So I got a bigger tank for everyone else & put up a divider so he could share the tank with my VT. I keep the water super clean & it stays between 78 & 82. His fins are growing back nicely but he turned colors. He is much darker blue with some red & his face is black. I did change his food, he use to eat the stuff with the color enhancers. I thought that might have been the problem. He has been like this for several months. He is getting some lighter blue in him, but will he ever look the same as when I first got him? He was absolutely beautiful & now hes pretty dull. I have pics of him in my photo album, his name is King. Any info & help is much appreciated!
Bettalover22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 01:19 PM   #2 
PhilipPhish

My oldest Betta,Philip, was a beautiful rich color, but he is faded with age...but that's the only thing I know about this.

I'll check out the pictures and see.

He might have stressed out or become sad or something while you were making the transition between takes or something.

Philip got really stressed when I moved him to his upgrade tank and he almost turned purple, but after a few weeks, he returned to his almost black color.
PhilipPhish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 01:27 PM   #3 
Bettalover22

Ever since I took the other fish out & put up the divider for one of my other bettas he has been very happy & much more active. His tail is growing back & he seems very healthy. His colors just look awful to me & I want him to look the way he did when I 1st got him, or at least close to it. And I don't think he is that old. He was pretty small when I got him but he has grown alot since february.
Old 06-08-2011, 01:35 PM   #4 
PhilipPhish

What kind of environment is he in and did it change at all in the past month?

It may be temp change, lighting,something in his water, or possibly even his food.
PhilipPhish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 01:54 PM   #5 
Echo

my profile pic is my CT Elvis. here's a pic of him when he was a wee little sprout and one in between. huge difference, yes? they change colors sometimes, not sure why.
Attached Images

Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 02:51 PM   #6 
Bettalover22

I thought it was either his food or stress when he was in a community tank, because he chewed his fins bad. I put all the other fish in a bigger tank & changed his food a few months ago. The red is starting to go away & he is getting some light blue on him, but nothing like the colors he use to be. I did take out his fake plants & put in real ones bcuz my veil tale ripped his fins on his.
Old 06-08-2011, 02:53 PM   #7 
Bettalover22

@ Echo I have a small female crowntail that looks identical to your 1st pic. I hope she doesn't change colors too, she is so pretty.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:05 PM   #8 
Echo

PetCo swore he was a girl.. i wasn't going to say a thing, females were cheaper (butt-stupid gits). he was so tiny when i got him, i suppose it was an easy mistake to make. i started him on the color enhancing pellets from the get-go, so that's probably what got his color changing so quickly. that and he was still a baby, would be my guess.
Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 07:13 PM   #9 
PewPewPew

Bettas Can marble, that is, change colors (if that is their color type)...your fish might have just marbled/changed colors. It happens.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote