Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-10-2011, 09:33 AM   #21 
Bakesale

Also, I feed him blood worms on a permanent basis, I've only read recently they should only be given as treats.. should I try change his food?
Bakesale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 07:30 PM   #22 
Sakura8

Are they frozen or freeze-dried? There are differing opinions on how often to feed bloodworms. I personally feel that as long as you are feeding your betta only one worm per day, he'll be fine. The other two meals can be pellets. Other people feed their bettas one worm a week. It's really up to you.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 07:56 PM   #23 
Bakesale

They're freeze dried. I feed him 2 a day
Old 06-10-2011, 08:22 PM   #24 
Sakura8

As long as they are small pieces and not whole worms, I don't think it will hurt him but if you want to be on the safe side, you can cut down to one a day or two every few days. There are some people who have experienced bloat when feeding freeze-dried bloodworms on a regular basis. I mean, their fish have bloated, not the person. I personally haven't had that happen but I have also noticed that my fish don't pass waste as often when I feed them too much dry food like pellets and freeze-dried worms. They go, just not as often so the potential for constipation is there.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:55 PM   #25 
turtle10

Freeze dried foods should only be fed once a week, not once a day. Also, peas are actually not a good food to give bettas. It may help them "loosen up" but it isn't very good for them. They wouldn't normally eat it in the wild and bettas are carnivores. Daphnia is a better option
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 10:04 PM   #26 
Sakura8

Yeah, daphnia is the better option for sure but also hard to find. In a pinch, peas won't hurt. The fiber will help them and according to some sources, they obtain moisture from the peas that they don't get from normal food. If Freddy gets constipated, I'd certainly suggest daphnia and epsom salts. But isn't he just listless right now, Bakesale?
Old 06-10-2011, 10:06 PM   #27 
turtle10

Yeah, is he constipated? From the photo it looks fine, but it could be the angle.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 01:52 AM   #28 
Bakesale

I saw him poop the other day, he doesn't go very often.

Update on the tank, just got myself a 150liter tank, and it should be ready in about 5 days :D
Old 06-11-2011, 09:20 AM   #29 
Sakura8

Depending on what kind of food you feed, they can go a lot in a day or a big one every few days. As long as he's going.

Good to hear about the tank.
Old 06-11-2011, 09:37 PM   #30 
Bakesale

Yeah, he's looking a lot better today, he still has trouble getting up sometimes but hes definately more active than he has been, I havn't fed him in 2 days, I noticed he WAS looking just ever so slightly bloated, he still manages to sneak in some of the tetras food though.

Here's a picture of my new tank, only just put the water in so its very murky.
Attached Images