Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-10-2011, 06:45 PM   #1 
JeanLuc2

Unhappy Betta Leaf Hammock vs Jean-Luc

So, I bought my little Jean-Luc one of the Leaf Hammock thingies yesterday and put it into his 2 gallon bowl/tank. I had the leaf firmly in the hole on the suction cup, and it firmly on the side of his bowl. I leave him alone to explore it, and I eventually go back to the kitchen to get something and notice that the leaf has fallen out. So, I put it back together and left him alone. Repeat this process for about another hour and then I removed the leaf entirely.

This is what it looks like:
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=4055997

So given my fish has decided to attack it what should I do to help him understand that he should like it? I don't want to return it yet.............................Help please.
JeanLuc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 07:05 PM   #2 
Sweeda88

I don't think he attacked it. I've heard that those things pop out of the suction cup easily. Most people use aquarium silicone to glue it in place.
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 07:13 PM   #3 
JeanLuc2

Should I do that even though the glue has tended to stink up his tank? I used it on one of the pirate skull decorations to cover the top of his bubbler and the skull ended up falling off but I can't get the glue off. So, the skull is just sitting in the bottom of his tank with the glue stinking up the bowl. Would that glue help keep the leaf on?
Old 06-10-2011, 07:26 PM   #4 
Sweeda88

I said AQUARIUM SILICONE. Using regular glue is NOT safe. If ANYTHING in your tank has regular glue on it, it should be removed immediately. If you use aquarium silicone, you need to let it sit for 24 hours to cure before putting it in the tank. Good luck!
Old 06-10-2011, 07:54 PM   #5 
PewPewPew

^ Yes yes. Aquarium silicone is best, because it resists the water so well...

I had the sammeee thing happen. Omg, it was annoying. It fell out every 20 minutes, and Alle actually really liked it. I ended up DIYing it for him because he just loved it so much.

I second the silicone motion. If you cant get that, then you can try hot glue, but sparingly and only within the hole of the suction cup, no where else, as its not safe.

If you can get the sealant, though, do. Its good for lots and lots more.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 09:15 PM   #6 
gummi

If you don't want to glue the leaf back in, you could use another broad artificial leaf for the hammock. My nearest pet store didn't stock these, so I just bought a silk aquarium plant with six nice big leaves on it, cut one leaf off leaving about a half inch of stem, doubled the stem over on top of itself, and shoved this into the hole on the suction cup. With the stem being double thick, it stays in very firmly. Just a thought if you have some old plants laying around.
gummi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 10:54 AM   #7 
JeanLuc2

Guys I meant aquarium sealant...my bad for not saying this.

I don't have any old plants because the last time I had a real plant (or silk plant...which is being used at the moment) the real plant ended up dying or something else round those lines.

I think I will try to put the sealant in the suction cup hole and then put the leaf in and leave it out until Sunday or Monday when I have to clean his bowl again before I leave for 6 weeks on Tuesday.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:56 AM   #8 
Sakura8

My stupid hammock never stayed in the suction cup long enough for my guy to even decide if he liked it. It's like if he even looked at it, it fell out. Consequently, since he seemed to have no feelings one way or another, I tossed the thing and got him the betta log and he seems to enjoy swimming in and out of the tunnel just fine.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 12:48 PM   #9 
Sweeda88

That sounds good. You probably just needed to let it cure for longer. Sorry. When you just said "glue" and not sealant, I thought you meant super glue or Elmer's glue! lol.
Old 06-11-2011, 12:53 PM   #10 
frogipoi

I would use aq. silicone, like everyone else said :)
frogipoi is offline   Reply With Quote