Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-10-2011, 04:53 AM   #11 
kif3

i can adjust the temperature with the heater. ive kinked it up a knotch and it seems to be keeping more steady with that plus with a small heater in my room. and trust me XD i wont be sweating its very cold here ;.; and its not close to his tank thankyou ^^. i do have an in tank thermometer, the tank seemed to be alot more steady with temperature today which is good :3

true with the pellets though im pretty sure they would fit into his mouth when swollen too. he just doesnt show any interest in them ;.; and i think hes getting skinnier and skinnier :(

im so confused about salts now ;.; cause i was using aquarium salts and someone said to use epsom salts ;.;. so i should definately absolutely positively use aqaurium salts now?'

i hope that its just he needs adjustment XD that would be so very nice.
and sakura you say your girl clamps sometimes when shes scared??
could this be whats happening to him? anytime i see him he is clamped up real tight, even when he swims around on his rare occasion.

Also i think his breathing is it a bit quick, is that a part of adjustment aswell?
kif3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 07:45 AM   #12 
Sakura8

That's good you've got an adjustable heater. That will help keep the temp stable.

Are you absolutely totally positive that he's getting skinnier? :( Fish can go for up to two weeks without food. If it's true that he's getting skinnier in just the short time you've had him, then there may be more going on than just adjusting to a new home. For now, keep up with the water changes. If we can eliminate dirty water as a cause for anything, it will make it easier to diagnose if something is wrong.

Yeah, the whole salts thing really can be confusing. When I first got into fish, all I knew were aquarium salts so when someone said epsom salts my mind flipped. I believe the rule of thumb is aquarium salts for bacterial/fungal problems like fin rot and ich, epsom salts for constipation.

Has his breathing just now started getting more rapid or has it been like that for a few days? His gills could be a little inflamed still from whatever water he was in while at the pet store or wherever you bought him from. Keep an eye on it and if it seems like he is really struggling to breathe and is rising to the surface a lot to grab air, then do a water change.

Yup, my girl still clamps up when she gets spooked by something, sometimes pretty tightly. I've had her about two weeks now and she's almost totally adjusted but evey now and then big things scare her, like my cat landing on the desk next to her tank or me trying to take a picture with the camera. The moment I point a camera at her she gets stress stripes. Talk about camera shy. So it's possible your guy is still very stressed from his move and it may take him a while to unclamp.

The problem with fish is one symptom could mean any number of things, some harmless and some not. It's very hard to tell. Like in humans, a cough could mean someone is just clearing their throat or they could have tuberculosis. In a fish, clamped fins could mean just scared or really sick. It's actually maddeningly hard to tell. Hang in there.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 07:58 AM   #13 
kif3

im not totally positive :/ i may just be begining to realise how skinny he is than from what i had initially though from when i first say him in the fish shop, i managed to get him to eat a blood worm today which is good though :3.
okay, i will definately keep a close eye on him.
thankyou so much for all the info on everything ^^.
i hope hell be fine :3 thankyou again
Old 06-10-2011, 08:03 AM   #14 
Sakura8

I'm glad I could bombard you with too much info, er, I mean help. (I get carried away sometimes so if I go on too long, just tell me to be quiet) Since he ate a bloodworm, that's a good sign. Keep us posted and I hope he recovers quickly.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 09:14 AM   #15 
kif3

XDnono lots of info is good XD specially seeing im still a newbie with bettas ^^ thankyou again :3 i will and i hope so too!