Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-09-2011, 11:36 AM   #11 
PhilipPhish

Alright, so I'm making a shopping list so I can go to Petco and McKee's and find stuff.
Hot much dose Brine Shrimp and Bloodworms normally cost and how to you keep them?
Current shopping list:
2 tank heaters
1 filtered tank
Atison's Betta Pro Pellets
Bloodworms
Brine shrimp.

I may be able to get all of those things this summer. My mom is paying me 10 bucks to clean house, so if I can get enough for the tank and the live food and pellets, I'll be good to go until I have more money to buy the 2 heaters.
PhilipPhish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 11:43 AM   #12 
Ariel1719

Is this thread real? How old are you anyway? You have all these nice and knowledgeable people telling you how to properly care for your betta and you seem to be ignorant and thinking you already know what your doing and everything is going fine. Betta's need their tank kept at 78-81. You need to slowly adjust them to the water by letting him float in the tank. You need a heater and a thermometer INSIDE the tank to read the temp. That tank also does not look like a 5gal unless your betta is 5 inches himself. You are over feeding your fish and especially at his age, you will kill him. Feed 3 pellets once or twice a day. Please listen to what people are saying. I don't know much about breeding but I do think that you can't breed a male who is over a certain age, it might be too stressful for him.
Ariel1719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 11:50 AM   #13 
PhilipPhish

OK, first of all, thank you for pointing out my flaws.

second of all, that was very rude.

Third of all, I'm accepting their help. I'm about to spend over 200 dollars upgrading my supplies, buying heaters, and paying for live food and new pellets.

Fourth of all, you had no reason to act like that. You need to realize that I'm basically new to this and that I'm trying to make my habitat for my fish better. I'm doing my research, taking peoples advice, and trying to learn as much as I can. My oldest fish is in his Golden years and I'm trying to better them. Why do you think I'm making a shopping list and about to spend 100 dollars a piece on my 2 fish? This isn't just for fun. I'm taking steps to better my fish skills. so please stop being snappy and just accept what I'm trying to do....

Please and thank you for your understanding.
PhilipPhish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 12:17 PM   #14 
Ariel1719

Im sorry for coming off as rude but your posts seemed ignorant by stating you know what your doing when a whole forum of people could tell you what you are doing wrong. It is a learning experience and I was just as un knowledgeable as you were, if not more so. By taking the help and advice of others I began to learn. I also did not see your last post before I posted mine stating that you were going to get heaters and everything. Again, I apologize.
Ariel1719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 12:35 PM   #15 
bettafish15

I'm in agreement with everything DarkMoon is saying. I'm glad your getting them heaters :) Btw, I saw you mentioned dividers, the smallest tank you can divide in two is a 5g.
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 01:23 PM   #16 
DarkMoon17

yaa there was no need to be rude... She's obviously making the effort to help her fish, what else can you ask for? Honestly, I kept my first betta in a half gal unheated tank so she's one up on me lol Fish owning is a learning process :)

Back on topic-
PhilipPhish your list looks good. Make sure you get frozen blood worms/brine shrimp not the freeze dried kind. They are usually around $4-5. You don't have to get both right now. If you had to choose one though, I'd honestly get glassworms if possible since they have the highest protein content.

You can only find Atison's Betta pellets online. They are pretty cheap and last a long time. Atison's betta pellets are for just normal care whereas Atison's betta pro is good for conditioning bettas and rearing fry.
http://www.google.com/search?client=...w=1061&bih=676

The cheapest option would be to buy a 5 or 10 gallon tank and divide it for your 2 bettas, that way you only need 1 heater and 1 filter. Some people don't like divided tanks, but despite their aggressiveness, bettas are social so I find bettas in divided tanks are much happier.
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 01:46 PM   #17 
Burd

Quote:
Fish owning is a learning process :)
'
^ This.

My personal suggestions would probably echo what's already been said and at the risk that I'm repeating someone - sorry! I don't feel like reading everything. X)

Research is one thing. Actually doing it is a completely different proposition. What worked for one person may not work for you. You should always be ready in the event that something doesn't work out to have a back up plan. :)

The cheapest and most economical/fish friendly solution imo would be to split a 10 gallon like several people have said. You can split them up to 4 ways and still have good space for everyone and only have to pay for one filter. Depending on how prepared you are and how far you want to go, this can end up being a very costly plan.

You can make dividers out of mesh from craft stores as long as you reinforce them. Petsmart also sells dividers that are premade but you have to put them together. I also had to cut them down to size so they'd fit. Petsmart's dividers are also fairly transparent and your fish will be able to see each other which could douse them with undue stress. Mine seem to get along just fine and only occasionally catch a glimpse of each other through the mesh and the plants that line their segments.

Live plants look fantastic but be prepared to stay on your toes should you choose to have them in your tanks. Many of them have different needs. The easiest by far for me has been java ferns. They grow like weeds and take just about any lighting situation as long as there is infact light. Live plants can also be cheaper than silk plants and benefit your fishies greatly.

If you don't have time/want to wait for a tank to fully cycle, seachem stability has been AMAZING for me. It's a bit pricey, but seachem's whole line is top notch. I swear by it.

How to save money doing this:
- Check good will, pawn shops and wal-mart for tanks and supplies. A 10 gallon at wal-mart is $12.97 for the tank alone. A full set up with a hood and filter will run anywhere from $20-50. I really, really, really don't recommend wal-mart gravel though. Or wal-mart fish for that matter.
- Ebay has been a god-send for me. I got a heater off of there for a 10 gallon for $8, shipping included. It took me a couple weeks to get it but saved big bucks on a thermostat heater. If you need a quick fix, heaters in pet stores are $15 and up for a 10 gal.
- Live plants, I've found, are cheapest at Petco here. Definitely look around before you buy and bring a coupon. Petsmart current has a 15% off coupon floating around if you bother to print it out. Good stuff.
- Every betta should have a cave or somewhere to hide in -- and a cheap $1 clay pot can suffice well! Petsmart has the best variety of natural looking (or otherwise) decor that can serve as caves, imo. And they're not unreasonably priced. They have the best sales..
- If you have a local fish store that's mom-n-pop style, definitely check them! You might be surprised by their prices, pleasantly. And they'll often haggle.

I'm always on DA if you need me or just want info. I've learned as I've gone, too. And I learned the hard way in some cases. :P

PS - Petsmart and petco often have coupons on the door to the freezer with their frozen food. Definitely ask if you don't see it! It can be a dollar or more off.

Last edited by Burd; 06-09-2011 at 01:49 PM.
Burd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 02:57 PM   #18 
DarkMoon17

Very good suggestions Burd!
I second NOT buying walmart gravel... If you want to have a nice planted tank, you can get one bag of planting gravel (like Floralmax) for a 10 gal for around $18. Most bags of normal gravel are $15 so the cost difference isn't that much.

And for heaters, you do want an adjustable heater. Those cost a few dollars more but are better in the long run. They are usually $20 for a 10 gal heater. If you can find one on ebay that could save you up to 50%.

Live plants are also ideal, there are a few online sources like theplantdepot where you can get some really cheap. The best low maintenance plants are anubia, java fern, java moss, sword plants, ludwigia, anarachis, wisteria, honeywort, and bacopa (sp?). THIS is what you can do with plants http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Buv_4dyzqLs so wonderful :)

You can also check craigslist for cheap aquariums or ask friends/coworkers. Just be careful with craigslist and bring your mom/dad.

For filters, I like the internal whisper filters because they have a slower flow and are pretty cheap. They are also quiet. If you can get an adjustable filter that would be even better though.

Oh, and so we know your current maintenance schedule, if you want to fill out this form for each betta we can let you know if you should be changing anything in the meantime :)
Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 03:06 PM   #19 
1fish2fish

I agree with everything said. Work on upgrading your fish, stick around and learn more about appropriate care. And maybe in a year or two revisit the idea of breeding. You're definitely not ready to attempt spawning.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 03:08 PM   #20 
Burd

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMoon17 View Post
You can also check craigslist for cheap aquariums or ask friends/coworkers. Just be careful with craigslist and bring your mom/dad.
Oh yes yes yes... there are SO many people in the pets section that want to get rid of their smaller tanks. I got a 10 gal and a complete 5 gal with gravel, filter(s), heater, etc. for $20 off of craigslist. But yeah, I don't know how old you are, but bring someone with you, especially if you're going at night.

Also, I second the internal whisper filters. They're great. The new ones come with a 'scrubber'... does that thing actually do anything? >>
Burd is offline   Reply With Quote