Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-08-2011, 10:25 AM   #1 
Littlebittyfish

Plant lighting question

I'll figure it all out eventually....
Well I noticed my plants aren't looking to great...Not dead or anything, just not as lively and fast growing as before..(before I was using mostly natural light)...I put a backing on my tank which blocked out most of the natural lighting so..I started to use my light hood...I am using the light that came with the hood...
That is my problem I am sure of it now...
I was wondering if I had to buy the lights sold at petstores or if I could I get something like this:
http://www.lowes.com/pd_196250-371-6...3D3&facetInfo=

That is if it fits of course...I plan on taking out the light in my hood and taking it with me next time i go to lowes..

Would 15 watts and 6500K be ok for a 10 gallon?
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 12:31 PM   #2 
PewPewPew

6500K is more important than wattage, so as long as 15w suits your tank, then its good!

18" is really big o___o would that fit? If you have a two-light hood, I like what I use, I have 2 tubular florescent bulbs from Walmart, theyre from lights of america and 10w at 6500K, bright and happy! :D

6500k is nice, keep it for like 10hours...Ohhh happy plants! :3
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 12:35 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

Thats the bulb I use for all my planted tanks...on my 10gal and larger tanks I use two bulbs or two light strips...I remove all my hoods and I cut yard sticks to fit the inside lip of my tanks so that the light strips fit just on the inside lip...open top but with two light strips the top is pretty much covered.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 12:55 PM   #4 
Littlebittyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by PewPewPew View Post
6500K is more important than wattage, so as long as 15w suits your tank, then its good!

18" is really big o___o would that fit? If you have a two-light hood, I like what I use, I have 2 tubular florescent bulbs from Walmart, theyre from lights of america and 10w at 6500K, bright and happy! :D

6500k is nice, keep it for like 10hours...Ohhh happy plants! :3
Thanks, I am not sure if it will fit or not...Maybe I will measure it in a little bit...
That is why I was going to take it with me..haha...just so I could compare the two..Maybe walmart will have something..I haven't looked much there for tubular florescent lighting honestly...But I will look next time I go in there...Would be cool if they have it..It is definitely closer than lowes for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Thats the bulb I use for all my planted tanks...on my 10gal and larger tanks I use two bulbs or two light strips...I remove all my hoods and I cut yard sticks to fit the inside lip of my tanks so that the light strips fit just on the inside lip...open top but with two light strips the top is pretty much covered.....
This is a great idea! Thankyou.My 10 gallon was an open top with natural light until I had one of my fish jump out of his tank..He jumped up a good 3-4 inches......
I wish I would have thought of just buying another strip light instead of the versa top...
that is a great idea.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote