Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-08-2011, 06:14 PM   #1 
elijahfeathers

Walmart made me happy today-- 2.5 gallon betta kit

Just something refreshing to see. My walmart is pretty new, and it looks like soon it'll be stocking bettas (they have prices for them out on the shelves already, but no fish.)

Anyway, today as I was buying a 5 gallon kit for dear Good Sir, my new king whom I sort of impulse bought, I saw the best "betta kit" I've ever seen in a store. A 2.5 gallon kit that was made for bettas, sitting right next to the other stuff. There are quite a few betta vase kits too, sadly, but it's just nice to see someone out there made a tank of a decent size intended for bettas, you know?
elijahfeathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 06:19 PM   #2 
elijahfeathers

Woops, wrong forum! This was supposed to be in betta chat! Hopefully a mod can move it. Silly phone, posting me in the wrong places. :P
elijahfeathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 08:50 PM   #3 
pinksnowme

I will look for that Betta kit TY for the heads up Elijah
pinksnowme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 12:25 AM   #4 
GreenTea

Well that's nice that you found a cheap tank but buying from Walmart is only going to financially support the way they treat their bettas, which is to say, horribly.
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 01:45 AM   #5 
Luimeril

last time i was at my local walmart, they had the little papers that told where the stuff goes on the shelves. being nosey, and used to seeing those from when i worked retail, i took a look-see. NO place for new bettas, but LOTS of new tanks. :3 i've been wanting to take a trip to walmart for WEEKS since seeing those!
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 02:53 AM   #6 
GreenTea

Well in other stores they do have bettas, so you are still choosing to support a oligarchy, a greedy company who uses animals and people. They usually shove bettas above a sink, by the way, they don't get a shelf..
Old 06-18-2011, 03:02 AM   #7 
Luimeril

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenTea View Post
Well in other stores they do have bettas, so you are still choosing to support a oligarchy, a greedy company who uses animals and people. They usually shove bettas above a sink, by the way, they don't get a shelf..
x: mine doesn't have a sink, unless they're in bathrooms. honestly, i don't think where they place them is a matter of cruelty. it's just, they don't often have room to spread out the cups.

and i don't think shopping at a walmart who doesn't have bettas, does anything for the ones that do. x: i mean, they hardly make money from the little guys and girls as it is, so me buying fish supplies at my local walmart, doesn't do much for the walmarts that DO still carry them. often, one doesn't even have a choice of where to shop. if i want aquarium salt, i only have Walmart to buy it from, honestly. i can't shop online, and the two closest pet stores don't carry aquarium salt. but, that's just one example. if my mom wants AC filters, walmart's closest. ect, ect, ect. if i could NOT support them, i would, but.... >.>; it's either walmart, or do without. and not just for pet supplies.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 03:13 AM   #8 
Tikibirds

Every walmart i have been too that has bettas, has them on a shelf.

I fail to see how shopping at walmart is going to make any difference in weather or not they sell bettas. The only thing that will stop that is by people complaining and bad press. If everybody quit buying fish from there I doubt it would make a dent in their yearly profits, especially when they sell damn near everything else under the sun. I do, however, agree that they don't give a rats A** about their fish or employees.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 03:13 AM   #9 
GreenTea

Of course it supports the ones that do. Let's draw a basic economic scenario here...

You spend money at walmart. Walmart profits. Walmart continues to do as it wishes. Questions?

Why can't you shop online? Convenience doesn't mean you or your mom don't have a choice, btw. Whether you find it uncomfortable or not, every purchase is a political one and you are supporting certain ideas with your money and where you plant your feet.
Old 06-18-2011, 03:17 AM   #10 
GreenTea

I'm not talking about making them stop selling bettas...I'm talking about shopping there at all. But to answer that, see my above comment. If they get money, from any product, they profit and continue to do whatever they want. So far, that includes selling bettas in horrible conditions and offering cheap products to people so they have no other options. Walmart can afford to downsell all their competition until no one is left.

Luimeril, that's why there are no other options, by the way. Walmart can afford to keep prices so low that they run all local businesses and many other, smaller chains, into the ground. It's not a sustainable economic solution and doesn't support a healthy economy, even short term.